Author Topic: Crono's 1.8 Swap!  (Read 4867 times)

Crono0001

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
Re: Crono's 1.8 Swap!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 10:19:46 AM »
Sincerest apologies.

Yes I bought the car for dirt cheap with the intention of restoring the engine.
Porsche Boxster 986 3.8
Toyota Corolla AE86 F20C
Mazda Miata NA8C

SidewaysEightSix

• Bad ass
  • It makes sense if you don't think about it....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 10:33:53 AM »
Miata 1.8 is enough to power George's old FD FC3s chassis, and have it keep up with George's current V8 FD FC3s.   

It's a stout motor
"I'm fat and he's Asian.  Crazy food is bound to come up in conversation."
      "wait, am I the Asian?!"
"yeah bro.  Yeah, I think so."
      "I'm white!"
"visually, yes.  But so is Takumi Fujiwara."

Yes....  You are an expert

Crono0001

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »
Miata 1.8 is enough to power George's old FD FC3s chassis, and have it keep up with George's current V8 FD FC3s.   

It's a stout motor

FD with an FC3s chassis?
Porsche Boxster 986 3.8
Toyota Corolla AE86 F20C
Mazda Miata NA8C

SidewaysEightSix

• Bad ass
  • It makes sense if you don't think about it....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 12:16:55 PM »
Formula Drift spec

FC3s chassis'

One LS

One miata 1.8

"I'm fat and he's Asian.  Crazy food is bound to come up in conversation."
      "wait, am I the Asian?!"
"yeah bro.  Yeah, I think so."
      "I'm white!"
"visually, yes.  But so is Takumi Fujiwara."

Yes....  You are an expert

Crono0001

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 12:23:46 PM »
Ah... Man, I really want a drift car now :/

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/4672335526.html

omg!!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:33:52 PM by Crono0001 »
Porsche Boxster 986 3.8
Toyota Corolla AE86 F20C
Mazda Miata NA8C

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 01:26:10 PM »
That rx7 with the heavy ford motor would be garbage to drift. That's cool somebody did the miata motor in a FC lol. Not my first choice.

Mr. Chrono, you have a quite capable drift car in that AE86. I would be more then happy to show you.

BoxyShazam

• Bad ass
  • Goodbye yellow brick road
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 01:49:04 PM »
Actually the ford motors are only ~50-70lbs heavier than the rotary. I had a 5.0 FB that was fun and as capable as any other solid axle car

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »
Your mom is 50-70lbs heavier than a rotory  :P

It's not the weight but where it's at.

Crono0001

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 02:38:35 PM »
That rx7 with the heavy ford motor would be garbage to drift. That's cool somebody did the miata motor in a FC lol. Not my first choice.

Mr. Chrono, you have a quite capable drift car in that AE86. I would be more then happy to show you.

The AE86 has a helical diff and is running 205/40 615ks.  No longer ideal for drifting, I'm told :(

But sure, I'd love to have you show me if you can guarantee we'll be safe and no damage will come to the car.
Porsche Boxster 986 3.8
Toyota Corolla AE86 F20C
Mazda Miata NA8C

Toywagon82

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 04:38:44 PM »
Your mom is 50-70lbs heavier than a rotory  :P

Thats not nice,even if its a joke.

theAngryMarmot

• AZT Member
  • www.theangrymarmot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 05:10:44 PM »
Isn't that the motor that came in the ford probe? Lol dude, you sure like the stock miata motor. Three novels later we get the point. I think a rotory would be way cooler. I have seen well over 200hp na. We all know way more with boost. With the amount of people still making crazy power in aus / nz. There's tons of info and parts to make it happen. I too once owned rotory's, revving it to no end was sweet.

Now back to the toyotas...

No, the KLZE is the "JDM" Mazda engine that was never sold here. You are thinking of the KLDE.

The KLZE makes ~200hp stock and sounds glorious. Especially with a set of ITBs on it. IMO a KLZE swapped Miata would be much cooler than a rotary swapped in - and more reliable w/better mileage.

I like the stock BP engine, because there is nothing wrong with it. It is robust, loves to rev, responsive, and can make great power for an engine series that has been in production since the early 80s. I made  621whp out of a built 1.8 once. The parts availability for the BP series engines is also better than a rotary, and finding BPs is much easier, cheaper. Why "fix" what isn't broken?

Sure, you can take a NA 13B out of a FC and through on a racing beat header / exhaust / and do the Holley carb conversion and make ~200 HP at the crank. I have done it.

What sucks is you have to switch to a carb'd setup. So if you don't like diddlin' with carbs you won't like it. And absolutely, you can turbo a NA 13B, till the tired motor you get off CL decided to lose a few apex seals or a coolant seal.. The only way to reliably boost a NA 13B is if you either plan on rebuilding soon, or are doing so from the get go. The last time I rebuilt one it was a bit of a PITA to get all the parts.

Small block ford isn't that heavy. Mostly outfitted it is around ~450 pounds actually. And makes great power, sounds fantastic - and you can buy them all day long out of mustangs or explorers on the cheap. Not to mention T-5 transmissions are a dime a dozen. LS is a better choice these days, however.

Properly set up that car would drift just fine. The weight distribution isn't going to be that far off.

I love rotaries. I have owned several, rebuilt several, autocrossed several. Unfortunately in this country, they don't make much since to have anymore.

Sorry to offend your twitter-post-length preferences. My "novels" are because I like to discuss things and have actual conversations. I like to debate. You don't have to read them.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:18:02 PM by theAngryMarmot »
www.theangrymarmot.com
93 Red Miatar, 93 Black Miatar
95 Civic Coupe B16 , 95 Civic Hatch RaceCar

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »
I was just joking around. I like your posts mr. Marmot. I was just poking fun at the fact you had made your point more then once. 621hp is no joke. I can't imagine a miata with that kind of power. Hats of to you for that sir.

As for the older V8 swaps in any rwd import, I have always frowned on it.

Mr. Chrono: a Hachi with coilovers and more then enough power will drift. I have done it with less.

theAngryMarmot

• AZT Member
  • www.theangrymarmot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »
I was just joking around. I like your posts mr. Marmot. I was just poking fun at the fact you had made your point more then once. 621hp is no joke. I can't imagine a miata with that kind of power. Hats of to you for that sir.

As for the older V8 swaps in any rwd import, I have always frowned on it.

Mr. Chrono: a Hachi with coilovers and more then enough power will drift. I have done it with less.

Power is power, doesn't matter how or where it came from.

I will take cheap, easy, abundant power over expensive, complex, and hard to find power any day of the week.

Doesn't help that I spend years and years restoring, driving, and caring for classic cars - most of which were American made lol.
www.theangrymarmot.com

theAngryMarmot

• AZT Member
  • www.theangrymarmot.com
    • View Profile
www.theangrymarmot.com

BoxyShazam

• Bad ass
  • Goodbye yellow brick road
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 07:40:12 PM »
Wow that v6 is very cool! I love how narrow that block is. What car is that originally out of?