Author Topic: Emissions Issues  (Read 2620 times)

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
  • East Valley Parts N Pizza
    • View Profile
Emissions Issues
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:03:30 AM »
OBD-II is telling me that I have  problem somewhere between the MAP sensor and EGR valve and I cant figure out what it could be. Since I don't have to worry about passing emissions, this normally wouldn't bother me, but I'm concerned that it might be more than an emissions issue since, after I fire her up, she spouts a nice cloud of white smoke and idles at about 1200 until I start moving. Sometimes, when waiting at a drive-thru or a light or w/e, she will start idling high again, but usually when I first start her. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

SDSK

• Bad ass
  • second time "couchi" owner
    • View Profile
Re: Emissions Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:00:53 PM »
Idle air control valve. Sounds like it could be to me. Usually it's located on the intake manifold and when clogged it makes high idle. the ones I a familiar with have coolant running through them but I don't think that would be the reason for the white cloud at start up.

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 09:50:46 PM »
White smoke usually means there's water getting into the combustion chamber. The high idle could also be linked to coolant temperature sensor. Have you checked your coolant level lately? I hope that's not the case though.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 11:17:26 AM »
nice cloud of white smoke..

When you first start it sounds like worn valve seals.  High mileage?

High idle when first starting is normal.

Idle should go down as engine temp goes up.

Random high idle sounds like a vacuum leak, or intermittent bad connection on the engine temp sensor.

If the computer thinks the engine is cold, it will raise idle.

Try wiggling wires on all the temp sensors (there are 2-3) and see what idle does.

You can check for vacuum leaks by spraying carb cleaner on the engine.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 10:47:25 PM »
So I checked the plugs just for giggs since, a previous owner had managed to not replace a ton of bolts and had VERY loosely replaced the valve cover when they changed the head gasket. Two of the plugs were gnarly crooked and the boots needed replacement badly, so I took care of all that and, thankfully, didn't pull any threading out with the plugs, put in some new plugs (properly) and the idle is actually just right now.

Worn valve seals? Sounds like a good time. High mileage is a definite yes. 197k. If it makes any difference, I kinda exaggerated about the "cloud." I guess the best way to describe it would be a small stream? It only lasts a second or two. Still, I'm sure its something that requires attention.

SDSK

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 11:51:19 PM »
Ha, I get excited when a cloud of white smoke comes from my exhaust. It let's me know it's still running lol

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 06:49:54 PM »
LMAO! Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure what I will have to look forward to once I get the old girl into the kinda shape I want her in. I would probably push ahead the engine's expiration date for an excuse to go 3S-GTE...assuming I could even find one. Anyway, I also have a T100 sitting in the garage completely negelcted, partially because I got this and mostly because I am NOT excited about replacing that water pump. :/ But that's another project for another topic...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:52:16 PM by The Chazzman »

SDSK

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 06:53:58 AM »
Is the t100 the 2.4L or the 6 cylinder? I had the 2.4L as a work truck for a while and loved it. No idea it was a 4 banger till I piped the hood and was like OMG half the motor is missing lol

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 10:22:50 AM »
The old 3VZE!
[IMG}http://{IMG]

She's not very photo-friendly atm. One of the main reasons I haven't posted her in the trucks section yet. Also, she's in a single car garage waiting for me to get the job done, so I don't really have room to take any pics other than this one.

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:27:10 PM »
I believe the 4 cyl. Model are the 3rz. That's a 2.7 not a 2.4. They are almost as big as the 3.0 V6. I want one, just hard to find a nice one without a half million miles on them. Been on the lookout for an extra cab model, since they come with a rear bench. The 86 xtra cab just wasn't big enough. I think the T100 would fit my family really well.

I did a headgasket and water pump on one of those V6 T100. Not much fun, good luck with all that.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 10:41:50 PM »
Thankfully, the head gasket is fine. But the water pump is still gonna suck. A lot. I might get around to it this weekend.

SDSK

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 06:32:42 AM »
All I remember it that it was a super big 4 cylinder. But thanks for the clarification.  :P

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
Problem Solved! Kinda...
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 09:13:20 PM »
Some folks on the 6G Celicas boards suggested running some Seafoam through the vacuum system because they had done it and had spectacular results. I finally gave it a shot and idle is normal and it no longer violently rumbles at idle. However, CEL is still on. I drove a few miles at speed up and down the 60 to see if that would help, but so far, light still on. I wasn't really planning on driving it to PHX this weekend since its size doesn't make it optimal for junkyard runs, but maybe I should to see if maybe it just needs to clean out a bit more before the light goes off?

Anyway, light or no, I feel like this is a success story because its almost a smooth, quiet drive...at least under 60 MPH.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 11:19:18 PM »
What is the error code?

Some codes will reset when the problem goes away, some need to be reset.

errin

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 04:53:01 AM »
some codes can require 20 or 40 trips to clear on their own.  having to start the engine under a certain temp and reach operating temp to qualify as a trip if you are just going to work and back thats 10 or 20 days of driving.   clear the codes with a scanner and see if the monitors all complete without a code coming back.  check for pending codes before you clear and last time code was set if the scanner has the ability. if its pending or last time set was after your last repair something is still up.