Author Topic: Emissions Issues  (Read 2429 times)

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
  • East Valley Parts N Pizza
    • View Profile
Re: Emissions Issues
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 06:13:02 PM »
Alright. I will hook it up next time I'm at work and see what's up. I will probably think of some new part or tool I need to buy this weekend.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 12:17:18 AM »
Alright, so in the last couple days, I've checked and changed various seals, gaskets and hoses, checked coolant levels and changed the oil, oil looked like regular ass dirty old oil, no coolant or water or anything, hoses all replaced, pcv valve replaced, there was a chunk of an old grommet from some past owner in the cover and that is now gone as well, new iridiums, new wires, cap, rotor. When I have the chance to sit down and make sure I know how, probably this weekend, I'll rebuild the distributor. I absolutely cannot figure out why on earth I'm getting that white smoke on startup. I wasn't too concerned when I was driving half a mile a day to work and back, but now I'm going to be driving it for work and want to be sure it isn't going to explode before I get A) another engine to rebuild and B) another car to deal with the abuse. I've already ruled out worn valve seals and coolant leaks. Could it be something wrong with the cat? For white smoke that would still be coolant related right? I'm not losing any coolant. So I'm honestly completely stumped...on top of that, even after cleaning out my vacuum system and testing my EGR valve, I'm still coming up with that P0401 error code
I don't know what to do at this point other than beg her to hold out a little while longer.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 08:35:43 AM »
How did you rule out valve guides and coolant leaks?

Did you check the EGR valve while it was on the car?

The EGR error code is triggered by the knock sensor.  If your egr valve does not work, the engine will knock and set the code.

This eventually causes engine damage.

Old engines can have their EGR passages gummed shut with carbon, so even if the valve works, the egr system does not.

Apply vacuum to the egr valve at idle, and the car should try to stall due to a massive vacuum leak thru the egr valve.

If that does not happen, your egr system is non-functional.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »
Yeah, the running EGR test was actually one of the first things I did when I got the car and it passed so I stopped considering it as a suspect.

I'm pretty sure it isn't coolant for a few reasons; no sweet smell, no external leaks around the head and if there was an internal coolant leak, I would have had some nasty, diarrhea oil when I changed it. However the smoke is a pretty pure white. It goes for a few seconds every time I start the car, but doesn't continue. In my previous experience with coolant leaks, there was a distinct smell, I had to top off the tank just about everytime I fired it up and it would usually start smoking whist out on the road.

I'm not entirely sure about the valve seals because that would be an oil leak, right? Had the oil issue on my old Avalon and the smoke was blueish black with a rather pungent stink to it. Which is not the case here.

What's making this even more fun is trying to find a diagram for the egr system for my car. It keeps giving me diagrams for old MR2s and 2000 Camrys. Different generations of the same engine with slightly different systems. As much as I hate to do it, I may just have to wait until I can do my rebuild to find out what's wrong. I'm just worried that running it as much as I will be in that time will blow it up.

EDIT: Definitely losing coolant. Just overheated.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:26:37 PM by The Chazzman »

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 10:18:30 PM »
After the overheating incident from last night, she's been garaged. I'm now attempting the fastest overhaul of everything north of the block that I can accomplish. Picking up every gasket and seal known to man as well as a water pump and some rad hoses before I leave work tomorrow. If anybody wants to come by and make fun of me on Saturday or just drink my beer and supervise, I'll be grateful for the company.

SidewaysEightSix

• Bad ass
  • It makes sense if you don't think about it....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 12:51:47 PM »
Sounds to me like you just discribed a blown head gasket.   
"I'm fat and he's Asian.  Crazy food is bound to come up in conversation."
      "wait, am I the Asian?!"
"yeah bro.  Yeah, I think so."
      "I'm white!"
"visually, yes.  But so is Takumi Fujiwara."

Yes....  You are an expert

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 10:52:15 PM »
Well...here goes nothing.

I'm feeling less and less confident about this as I go.

It seems like everytime I unclip a connector, something breaks. Everything is super dry and brittle. If it weren't for the multitude of zip-ties, missing bolts and even severed studs, I would wonder if this had EVER been done on this car...

• Sr. AZT Member
  • I love bOObies!
    • View Profile
    • Speed Hawaii
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 12:59:38 AM »
Quick tip on old plastic: Heat gun or hair drier helps soften um up a lil bit, i.e. connectors, wires, insulation etc. I work on old shit, drive old pieces of shit, hopefully eventually you can find n swap some connector shells when all said n done. Good luck, have fun

SDSK

• Bad ass
  • second time "couchi" owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »
At least the cover looks clean...

Good luck broham.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 10:23:32 AM »
@808 thanks for the tip! I'll go pick one up!

@SDSK Lol thank goodness for small mercies! I'm hitting this hard. I need it done tomorrow night...Not positive I can get it done in time.

EDIT: Got the new modulator and a new VSV because that was disgusting as well. Then I will clean the hell outta the EGR valve and, once the head gasket is taken care of, hopefully no more problems for a while. Hopefully its just the head gasket and no damage to the block...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:34:17 PM by The Chazzman »