Author Topic: Transmission or Engine Trouble?  (Read 1167 times)

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
  • East Valley Parts N Pizza
    • View Profile
Transmission or Engine Trouble?
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:33:55 PM »
So I was out on the 60 and I got up to about 75, just over 3000 RPM, and my car started jerking. Like, when you stall jerking. It hadn't stalled, obviously, but the problem persisted until I either gave it some gas, or dropped it back below 3k. For whatever reason I never thought, "Holy shit, this is a problem!" and stopped driving. No I decided to make an experiment out of it and find out when it would jerk and what would stop it and it turns out that any time I rev over 3k, regardless of gear, same result and it doesn't seem to matter what RPM I'm at in 5th, it just jerks whenever it feels like it. What I can't really figure out is if it is an engine problem or a tranny problem. I ran a google search for manual transmission jerking and came up with all kinds of "10 things to watch out for." bullshit and even a few, "bring it to a mechanic now!" things, but I want to fix it myself and I can't do that if I don't know what it is. Anyone else experience this? Anyone fixed this?

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission or Engine Trouble?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 12:19:50 AM »
What kind of car?

If it has a distributor cap and rotor I would start there.

There is nothing in a manual transmission that is RPM-sensitive.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »
Its my 96 Celi. Cap and rotor. Might as well do plug wires and boots (if I can find some) as well. Could it really be as simple as that? I was afraid she was about to die.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 02:48:01 PM »
no smoke, no steam, no horrible noises = no die.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 07:07:02 PM »
Well...there is a little steam. Just for a moment when I start it up. Been like that since I got it.

SDSK

• Bad ass
  • second time "couchi" owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 08:39:07 AM »
Where is the seam coming from? Could be moisture in the pipes from early in the am before it gets warm.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
Well, shit.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »
Got new cap, rotor, wires. Pulled out old wires. Pulled off old cap. Pieces of rotor flushed out along with a small stream of oil. Looks like the Celi will be down for a week or so whilst I collect the cash for a new distributor and seals...

EDIT: Started prowling the web and discovered a seal kit for A LOT cheaper as well as a video for rebuilding the distributor. Never tried this before but, if it saves me $140, I'm going to give it a shot. Anyone else tried this? Seems like its a pretty common problem with these things.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:04:42 PM by The Chazzman »

errin

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 05:52:21 PM »
i did a 4ag distributor before.  not hard at all. took maybe an hour, and i remember thinking that was a pretty slow time.    it helps to have a punch and a vise.   one thing, the guide i followed didnt mention anything about the distance the bearing on the shaft should be from the bottom.  i measured mine before removing it to be sure it went back on the same spot. 

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »
Didn't even think about that. The vid I saw didn't cover that either. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 06:18:11 PM »
Where is the seam coming from? Could be moisture in the pipes from early in the am before it gets warm.

Sorry, didn't notice this earlier! I was kinda joking. I've developed a strange sense of humor since the Chrysler started acting up. Had to or the thing would eat my soul alive.