Author Topic: Before I start my rebuild project...  (Read 804 times)

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
  • East Valley Parts N Pizza
    • View Profile
Before I start my rebuild project...
« on: April 17, 2015, 11:03:37 PM »
I'm going to give myself away as a total noob, if I haven't already. 96 Celi GT is powered by the second gen 5S-FE, same as 2nd gen N/A MR2 and I think a couple different Camry generations. I want to pick up a 5S-FE and do a full-on rebuild so it is ready when, eventually, the one in my Celi explodes. This thing had 7 owners and its approaching 198k. With All body damage this thing has suffered, I can only imagine how it earned all of those miles, so I'm preparing myself. Back to the noob question: Since junkyards seem to have no shortage of 5S Camrys, could I yank one to rebuild and drop in my car? I know after a certain year they stopped building them with distributors, so I will do some homework to find out exactly when they changed it, but is anyone famiiar enough with the 5S to know if I can get away with this without making crazy alterations? I mean, if they are thee same engine it should theoretically be just fine? Plus I've always wanted to do a rebuild and this would give me the excuse I need.

SidewaysEightSix

• Bad ass
  • It makes sense if you don't think about it....
    • View Profile
Re: Before I start my rebuild project...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »
Motors don't know what car they are in.   I'd say at most you may need to swap the accessories from your motor to the new one so everything fits fine.  Just make sure you get a similar 5S

I know 4A's.  I don't know 5S's.  But I can't imagine it's an issue.
"I'm fat and he's Asian.  Crazy food is bound to come up in conversation."
      "wait, am I the Asian?!"
"yeah bro.  Yeah, I think so."
      "I'm white!"
"visually, yes.  But so is Takumi Fujiwara."

Yes....  You are an expert

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
  • East Valley Parts N Pizza
    • View Profile
Re: Before I start my rebuild project...
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 10:26:01 AM »
That was what I had figured, I just wanted to be sure. Yeah, I already know my p/s pump and a/c compressor and pretty much everything else attached to a/c are good, so I'm just going to pick up the motor itself, rebuild and then attach all pumps/accessories from old motor and slap the on the "new."