Author Topic: Project: Why did I buy this!?  (Read 3057 times)

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
  • East Valley Parts N Pizza
    • View Profile
Project: Why did I buy this!?
« on: May 02, 2015, 12:51:59 AM »
I've decided to make a freaking game out of this. I find something that appalls me about my Celica and it goes here. FUN!

Cut off! Someone very much despised the idea of having to implement a breaker to remove the two outer bolts on the exhaust mani and decided to do this!

Easter Eggs! I wonder how much more hardware I will find tucked away in various places as I go!?

Well-oiled! No, seriously! There's oil all over EVERYTHING!!!

AZT, meet my new friend, Timing Cover! Or what's left of it. I found pieces jammed up in a bit of everything. This is the only solid piece left...with no gasket left to speak of.

I like this game! I'm going to keep going with these fun little horror stories as this unravels. In the meantime, can anybody tell me what this part is called? I'm about 120% sure it has everything to do with my CEL firing up vacuum codes. The top popped right off and revealed the nastiest mountain of goop and sludge I have ever seen, smelled or accidentally tasted.

I have to call it a night for now, but there will surely be more tomorrow! Thanks for watching!

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Why did I buy this!?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 10:16:35 AM »
EGR modulator.

You could be right.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »
Awesome! Thanks! Gonna grab one of those and a timing cover today!

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 12:33:56 AM »
Not much progress. I managed to get out to the yard and pull a couple things I need, but we had to put down our dog today. :( I'm gonna have to go full powerhouse status on it tomorrow. One big question: Every video I've watched about removing the crank gear and even the damned Chilton's manual, shows a nify little hex on the shaft to grab onto to undo the bolt on the gear. Seems my camshaft didn't get the memo and doesn't have that...how the hell do I remove that gear? I know its just gonna turn the cams if I try it, I tested it on a junkyard Camry. Also, I'm kinda scared of the prospect of timing...

Damn. The wiring harness is a bloody nightmare. Shit's broken everywhere...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:59:48 AM by The Chazzman »

errin

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 06:44:40 PM »
for the cam gear i usually put a screw driver through it and when turn it the screw driver jams on something then the bolt breaks loose.  For the crank pulley you can put a breaker bar on the socket and put it up against the frame or the ground, just something that wont get broke when it gets hit hard, and crank the car for a second.  When the car turns over the breaker bar stops the bolt from turning and loosens it.   or you can jam a screwdriver into the flywheel teeth and try to turn the crank pulley bolt that way.     Or this is the perfect excuse to buy air tools and a compressor.   Sorry your dog.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »
Thanks, she was a great dog. And thank you for the tips! I actually just put everything back together today! I wound up not replacing the water pump because it seemed just fne and I saw an opportunity to save a bit of money. It wasn't fine. I fired it up after getting it back together (totally stoked I managed to not screw up the timing) and the water pump popped. Awesome.

SDSK

• Bad ass
  • second time "couchi" owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »
This made me chuckle... sorry dude couldn't help it. The way you typed was amusing.

Goes to show if your there just do it. Especially since you have seen how the car has been maintained its almost mandatory that pump be replaced. Try not to over look the small things unless you have inspected the part yourself. Saving money is awesome but not if you have to do twice the work.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 03:31:02 PM »
Lol I had to have a nice chuckle myself everytime something went wrong. Hard lesson learned. Its done, though. I didn't get a pic, because I was just too pissed off to think straight, but when I removed that shitty cold-air intake, that big-ass rubber hose at the end (clamped to throttle body) was actually in two pieces...I hate that intake anyway. It's noisy as fuck and its been proven that they don't actually add anything to the 5sfe. I'm actually looking for a stock intake now. all that aside, is Toyota Red coolant available at dealerships? I've bought it online before, but don't have time to wait for delivery at the moment.

The answer is yes. $27.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:31:56 PM by The Chazzman »

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
cooling system flush
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 11:12:36 PM »
I just removed the thermostat and drained as much coolant as I could from the lower rad hose, then started filling up with distilled water and its not making it to the lower rad hose. The water is all leaking from the outlet that houses the stat. So far, I haven't wasted anything but water, but I need to get this running by tomorrow evening and officially have no idea what to do. I can't flush the system with the stat in there but without it, there's no gasket keeping everything in. Lose-lose.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 12:11:46 AM »
I think I've got it! Errin suggested taking apart the tstat so that its basically just the ring with the gasket on it. It wasn't made to come apart, but with some pliers, muscle and a clamp, I managed to hack it up and fit it in! Now I can flush my system without losing all my water!

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 11:31:24 PM »
She's on the road again! Thanks to Errin and Twincharger for some sound advice and to Hackeduphachi for getting under the hood with me to help diagnose the source of a string of brutal misfires! After some heavy Alabama-style engineering and some zip-ties, she survived the 8 hour pizza delivery test with no temp spikes, no smoke and, despite a bad distributor and some misfires, decent gas mileage. The dizzy gets replaced this weekend and, hopefully, that will be the end of the misfires altogether!

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 10:09:24 PM »
Rebuilt the dizzy this morning! No more misfires and one step closer to that 23 mpg this things supposed to get! Still running a bit rich, but that's the price of running no tstat...plus I kinda like the smell. Seems more authentic. Anyway, going after those engine mounts on Sat, can't stand the rattling anymore, and hopefully I can find some new bolts for my exhaust mani heat shield thingy. Stop that from rattling too. After that, hopefully, I will finally be done with worrying about how it runs and can start focusing on how it looks!

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 09:39:48 AM »
With no tstat, it will run rich because it stays cold.

The computer adds more fuel.

The unburnt fuel is burned in the catalytic convertor.

Too much unburnt fuel overheats and burns the catalytic convertor, then it does not work and you fail emissions.

Put the tstat back in.

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 12:10:16 PM »
Yes sir! Did not know that. Thanks!

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 10:05:23 PM »
Got the new stat in there and replaced the upper rad hose. Looked like it was about 9 months pregnant. The stat must be opening because I drove around for about 15 minutes and let it idle easily as long and temp is nominal, however I'm a little worried about the fact that I can place my hand on the lower hose and not get burned. Its warm, but not hot like the upper hose and radiator. I guess if its not overheating there's no problem. Oddly enough, and I don't see how it could be connected, but tue car no longer shakes violently whilst idling and it idles at around 700. Not sure if that's ok...maybe things are actually going right for once and I'm just so used to something being wrong that I think its a problem?