Author Topic: 1985 Trueno  (Read 8552 times)

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
1985 Trueno
« on: May 11, 2015, 07:40:02 AM »
Hey all I'm new here, been lurking for a little while but now that I'm getting closer to moving I figured I'd start this off...My name is Aaron, I've been living on Okinawa for the last 4 years and I'm getting stationed in Phoenix this coming July. I was never really into cars until I came to Japan. One of my good friends here had an AE86 Levin Coupe and I absolutely fell in love with it...When I decided I wanted to get one of my own, my wife's father found out, and offered us his AE86 which had just been sitting downstairs in an extra parking space for 4+ years, it was pretty much free as long as my intentions were not to sell it. So we got the car on a ferry down to Okinawa from their home in Japan about a year ago today. I have TONS of pictures since that time and I'll gradually be posting them as I have time.

I'm going to try and do this in order from the beginning...
These are some of the first pictures my wifes father sent us.

He also did me a huge favor by giving the car a good check out and some body work before we shipped it from mainland. This particular 86 used to be driven by my wife's brother. The story was that her father surprised her brother with it one evening during dinner time. It showed up non-op, with a second parts car behind it. They worked on it together getting it in good running condition. Her brother drove it for about 5 years until he got a job at Toyota and had to move to another part of Japan. Also leaving behind the 86 for a new car pictured below...

Wheels are Magroads 14x6.5 and 14x7

Mother in-law taking pictures of the father working hard

But he wasn't alone, my brother in law came to help out as well, and all I could do was sit and look at pictures across the ocean on Okinawa. I felt bad that I couldn't help out and probably learn some things, but I was also very excited and grateful!

Here is the side by side shot of his old 86 and now his new 86...

When it was all said and done, buttoned up and ready to ship...

En route!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:07:48 AM by Ronnieah »

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
Re: 1985 Trueno
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:52:06 AM »
Wow!! Great story Aaron! Welcome to Azt!! That is a very very beautiful car. So you will be bringing to Az? I would love to see it in person. I don't think i have seen a rhd 86 in Az before, you could possibly be the only one. That's really cool that your father in law gave you that, and even spent time getting it back to former condition before sending it!

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
  • East Valley Parts N Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »
You should take THAT to the AZ86 meets! Lol Awesome!

Deuce Cam

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »
Very cool! Welcome.

Wangchung_Tonight

• Bad ass
  • Skid-marks.
    • View Profile
    • Ehhrrr ma gerrd, its merr Ferrsberrk!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:15:13 AM »
Damn! Awesome car, and a good story behind it. Don't sell! Lol
The legendary pizza delivery 8-6 of Akina.

• Sr. AZT Member
  • I love bOObies!
    • View Profile
    • Speed Hawaii
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 12:22:37 PM »
What up dude, welcome to AZT. Cool story, cool car. Fucken scoooooooore!!!

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 01:36:42 PM »
Moving to Arizona in July....   welcome to hell.

Load up on parts while you are in Okinawa..

I'm sure you have access to stuff we just can't get here.

Nice clone...  just needs Fujiwara tofu stickers. :)

SDSK

• Bad ass
  • second time "couchi" owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 09:42:20 PM »
Lol twin is a joker... (actually I don't know for sure lol) welcome to az where the weather is crap in the summer and winters are awesome.

Definitely want to see this in person so I can bask in the aroma of where my car was supposed to be created from. Just might try to hump it a little as others here are not brave enough to say it lol. Nice to see that you are serving And coming to the states. How long has it been since you have been back to the states?

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 10:38:02 PM »
Just be prepared...  It is freaking hot here.

You will understand as soon as you get off the plane.

What do you have to do to register the car here?

Does it have strong enough bumpers to be legal here?

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 10:46:01 PM »
Way I hear it, military actually has a REALLY easy time bringing back cars. I work with a guy who served in Germany who said that any car he bought there was taken care of as far as registration is concerned and they transport it back without the owner having to pay a dime. Don't know if he was pulling my leg, but if its true, its awesome!

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 09:15:49 AM »
My dad brought a Volvo and a Mercedes home from Germany when he was in the service, but that was in the 1950s.

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 07:49:32 AM »
Thanks for the positive vibes. It's been about 6 years since I lived in the states, I visited once for 30 days in between my assignments to Korea and Japan. I'm from San Diego originally, been to Phoenix a few times during 4th of July, definitely not looking forward to the heat and the 86 doesn't have A/C! I am bringing it with me on the governments dime, anything over 25 years old can be brought back without having to conform to US DOT standards. It will only have to pass whatever inspections are required to register in Arizona, mostly worried about emissions. I got it to pass emissions here after doing plugs, wires, 02 sensor, and a new magnaflow cat. But can anyone tell me if Arizona has any regulations/requirements for a visual inspection? or is it more or less about passing the actual smog test...

Big update coming soon; I have my vehicle shipment set for this upcoming Wednesday! But tomorrow I am going out for one last drive with some friends and their 86's to get some photos downtown in the big city here

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 09:06:52 AM »
No visual inspection.

But they are supposed to do a visual inspection to see that you have an EGR valve if the car came with one, and a charcoal cannister for fuel vapor recovery.

Your gas tank has to hold pressure, and the gas cap has to hold pressure.  They test both.

Catalytic convertor also needs to be present.

Then just blow good numbers and you're all set.

Definately take pics before you leave Japan.

...and for god's sake visit the Toyota museum!

The Chazzman

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »
Toyota museum!!! Where are you going to be stationed? I'm not sure if any bases are in non-smog registration territory. :/

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 12:49:43 PM »
They don't know what the hell they are looking at down at emissions. They aren't trained in ae86's lol. I have heard of one the board members failing the visual because of the egr, that's only one person though. My 20v swap went right through, no egr or charcoal canister.

You will have to get state inspection. That's really easy to pass, just make sure all lights and signals work. Shouldn't have a hard time registering it.

Good to hear you are bringing it! We will have to all get together this summer for a Azt meet.