Author Topic: 1985 Trueno  (Read 8126 times)

Deuce Cam

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1985 Trueno
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2015, 09:25:55 AM »
Paint!? That thing belongs in a musuem, at least compared to most of our pos cars...  Best to stock up on vinyl, plastic and rubber treatment products (and apply liberally) once you get here lol. The dry heat is hell on those materials.

I don't know much about the west valley (aka east LA), but stay away from Goodyear if possible. I worked at an EPA super fund site adjacent to the Goodyear airport for a while. They have infrastructure all over the city to treat ground water from chemical spills decades ago...

I love the look and sound of the brave. The price was also very good with current exchange rate. However, there was noticeable loss in low end power since I have a stock 16v. Now I need a 20v, or cams/more compression/tune.

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2015, 09:33:09 PM »
Paint!? That thing belongs in a musuem, at least compared to most of our pos cars...  Best to stock up on vinyl, plastic and rubber treatment products (and apply liberally) once you get here lol. The dry heat is hell on those materials.

I don't know much about the west valley (aka east LA), but stay away from Goodyear if possible. I worked at an EPA super fund site adjacent to the Goodyear airport for a while. They have infrastructure all over the city to treat ground water from chemical spills decades ago...

I love the look and sound of the brave. The price was also very good with current exchange rate. However, there was noticeable loss in low end power since I have a stock 16v. Now I need a 20v, or cams/more compression/tune.

Hah! yeah it was originally all white 041 color code, when my in-laws got it they rattle canned it into a panda scheme, and it does have some minor rust areas so I figured whenever I get some real repairs done on the rust I might as well restore it to it's original color-scheme as well! Going to keep this thing out of the sun and in the garage as much as possible, it definitely isn't going to be a daily driver!

Good to know about the exhaust, I've been thinking about doing a mild build a little ways down the road using the matrix garage cams/pistons, still exploring ideas; Priorities tho! I had a few oil leaks pop up a few weeks before I turned her into the port, cam seals and possible oil pan, need to pull the transmission off to verify that one though, it had the same leak when I did the clutch not too long ago and it looked like rear main until we pulled the tranny off and verified it was still good, but that could have changed, as the leak is a little more intense than it was before...

Deuce Cam

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 11:25:32 AM »
Ah rattle can paint job - missed that. Good from far but far from good?

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 12:19:48 AM »
Ah rattle can paint job - missed that. Good from far but far from good?

Yeah, the white is original other than the fenders which I had replaced. The black is all rattle-canned, it wasn't bad at first, you could hardly tell it was done that way, but it started to show what it was real quick.

Anyways, I'm in AZ now, flew in last night with my 2 dogs. Wife and kid will be joining me a month or two later. Right now I'm looking at picking up an early 2000 model 4Runner...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:28:59 AM by Ronnieah »

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2015, 04:31:57 PM »
Well, I'm heading down to California tomorrow morning bright and early to pick up the 86 in San Diego, staying at my parents house for a week and then drive her back next Friday, gotta make a night drive since I don't have A/C lol.

Also uploaded some photos and a few videos from my trip to Okayama 86 fest in 2014.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/133240806@N07/69F4fg

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2015, 08:05:36 PM »
Blacktop swaps seem popular 
Oh wow that is a lot of 86s,

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »
Well, took her to one of the stations near the base today, failed miserably but atleast I know where I'm standing and what I need to look at fixing...I only have 21 days from the date I picked up at the VPC to drive the car so my next go around I'll have to get temporary registration of some sorts...getting my household goods in next week so I should be able to start working on her shortly...

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2015, 01:56:37 PM »
Original catalytic converter?

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2015, 04:50:52 PM »
Magnaflow cat, 02 sensor, wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor all replaced last July...I have a sneaking suspicion the cat isn't good anymore, I opened the throttle up on the drive back home and had a good minute of rotten egg smell, maybe just had some built up crap that needed to get cleaned out, but the cat will be the last thing I replace, I'll do another smog after I do some other minor things...gunna re-verify timing, check to make sure TPS is still in spec, fix my leaking distributor shaft O-Ring, got a new air filter to put in there, fuel filter, and considering seafoaming it...

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2015, 05:35:40 PM »
High CO is because you are burning too much fuel.

High HC is too much unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

I don't see a NOx reading.   That is more timing-related.

Did you ever do an AFM adjustment?   

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »

Did you ever do an AFM adjustment?

Negative...correct me if I'm wrong, but since Japanese 4AGE's are all MAP, it wouldn't have an AFM to adjust...?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 06:31:26 PM by Ronnieah »

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2015, 12:23:46 AM »
D'oh!

That would make sense.

So, you really have no control of your fuel mixture.

The rotten egg smell means the cat is trying to burn off extra fuel... 

Good that it is trying,  bad that it has to burn so much extra fuel.

It will eventually overheat/melt/plug up from the extra fuel.

Make sure the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator goes to a continuous vacuum source.

Can you check the O2 sensor with a voltmeter to make sure it is cycling?

Check the ECU for error codes, and check the engine temp sensor that does not go to the gauge.

Emission tests can be such a pain.

Deuce Cam

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2015, 10:20:15 AM »
Interesting printout. I assume they didn't drive the car on rollers for the emissions test?

Edit: Is the magnaflow cat one of their stock replacement units, or a high flow?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:21:59 AM by Deuce Cam »

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2015, 12:41:44 PM »
They only performed the idle test because the guy wasn't comfortable driving a manual RHD vehicle and didn't want to mess up my transmission.

the Magnaflow was just an OEM replacement, one of the California emissions compliant models.

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »
Welp, I did a thing on Monday... ;D now to re-drill holes in the plate so it matches to the car...and got all of my household goods delivered this last week, I still have some boxes to look through, but I'm missing a perfect set of raingaurds and the boxes I have left don't appear to be the size that would even be able to fit them  :(

Some goodies I saved for when I got to the US..Watanabe R-type 14x8

and a test fit...

And some photos my friend Russ sent me from 8/6 day on Okinawa, enjoy!

Russ's Zenki Trueno Coupe!