Author Topic: 4AGE 16v Distributor/Timing  (Read 4371 times)

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
4AGE 16v Distributor/Timing
« on: October 21, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »
Having an issue with re-stabbing the distributor. Pulled it to fix the leaking O-ring, put it back in just as it came out, rotor just leaving the #1. When I checked timing, it was 180 degrees out, leaving me with a timing mark that lights up on the bottom side of the crank pulley. I also noticed it felt as if it lost a little power upwards of 4-5k RPM's and throttle felt almost dull. I re-pulled the distributor to try and stab it back in the right place, but to no avail. I've done it to the T per the manual, as well as trying just before and just after the timing marks, dozens of times. I can get it to the right degree, but it's not lined up with the previous marks on the head/distributor that I made before I pulled it. Additionally the engine sounds sluggish and backfires. I'm starting to lose my wits about it.

If anyone is willing to help me out I'd be happy to pickup a case of your choice!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:32:11 PM by Ronnieah »

Deuce Cam

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
Re: 4AGE 16v Distributor/Timing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 03:46:34 PM »
All you changed was the o ring?

Here's a couple tips that you probably already tried or thought of:

- try holding the rotor in place with one hand when stabbing the dizzy to help keep it from moving
- you can also remove the valve cover to make sure the timing marks line up

Hopefully somebody else chimes in with more useful ideas.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 06:41:24 PM »
Do you have a timing light?

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 07:06:29 PM »
Haven't gone as far as removing the valve cover. The rotor is in the right position every time I stab it in, just leaving #1, but maybe I am just missing something little, or am just not experienced enough to know that I'm actually doing it wrong.

A little more on this; this happened on Okinawa as well, had to remove headers, couldn't get them out without taking the distributor out, I ended up going to a nearby garage where a guy who had a few 86's back in his day let me in the bay to see what he was doing, it looked like he was doing the same thing I was, just re-positioning the crank pulley ever so slightly until he got the right spot, but it only took him 4-5 tries.

Before he had stabbed it into the right spot, in diagnostic mode I would always throw a code 11, but when he got it stabbed on the correct tooth, the code went away and was able to jump into diagnostic mode. The position he got, is where I scribed a line for the head/distributor to match up.

I do have a timing light, same one used at that guys shop because his broke in the middle of helping me lol

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 12:02:22 AM »
Even if you are on the right tooth, it only takes a few degrees of retarded timing to make the engine sluggish and start to misfire.

Did anything change around the pickup coil?  Was it the outer Oring you changed, or did you take the pickups out and get to the bottom inside the distributor?

Is there any way that the pickup coil wires could have been reversed?

This is a 4age?  How far does the rotor move if you try to twist it back and forth?

Use the timing light to line up the timing mark to about 8 degrees btdc with pins T and E1 shorted in the diagnostic connector with the engine running.

From there you can advance the timing just a few degrees to get better throttle response and mileage, but too much and you will cause pinging and detonation... bad things.  Use the timing light.  Ignore your marks...

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »
Correct, largeport 4age. coil wires were not reversed. I only changed the outer O-ring, however, I was unable to put the car into diagnostic mode due to code 11. Had a bad TPS, installed my new one to specs, cleared the code 11, but haven't had a chance to re-stab the distributor yet. I've gotten it placed into a spot mutliple times where I could change the timing between 10 and maybe 45 degree's advanced but could go no lower than 10...granted I wasn't able to enter it in diagnostic mode. I'll find out tomorrow if that is my saving grace here.

Ronnieah

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 01:24:41 PM »
Turns out I'm just a huge noob!  :o  with engine properly in diagnostic mode, I got it set correctly. Thanks for the input guys!

Wangchung_Tonight

• Bad ass
  • Skid-marks.
    • View Profile
    • Ehhrrr ma gerrd, its merr Ferrsberrk!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 08:36:24 AM »
I need to figure out why my car doesn't go into diagnostic mode when T and E1 are jumped...
The legendary pizza delivery 8-6 of Akina.

Deuce Cam

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 01:03:43 PM »
^Any diagnostic codes?

I'm assuming I have the same problem as Ronnieah since my ecu also displays code 11 with the terminals jumped. I tried checking timing with a timing light a few years back and found it was way advanced even with the dizzy turned all retarded :D, but it sounds like I'm not really reaching diagnostic mode due to the code... I need to get a set of feeler gauges to see if my tps can be adjusted to spec. Engine runs like a top and passes emissions no problem though...

Wangchung_Tonight

• Bad ass
  • Skid-marks.
    • View Profile
    • Ehhrrr ma gerrd, its merr Ferrsberrk!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 02:05:36 PM »
No codes, but then again, I've never seen my check engine light illuminate...
The legendary pizza delivery 8-6 of Akina.

Deuce Cam

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
Mine never illuminates while driving. Although it does light up solid when i turn the ignition to 'ON' which is normal.

I decided to jump the terminals for 'diagnostic mode' for the hell of it one day and found it was throwing code 11 based on the number of times it blinked. (There's a guide for deciphering the codes in the efi section of the service manual.)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 05:02:59 PM by Deuce Cam »