Author Topic: Wu-Tang is for the children.  (Read 32455 times)

ZERO

• Administrator
  • Bad ass
    • View Profile
Re: Wu-Tang is for the children.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »
I love where this thread is going!  Awesome progress Dubsky.
Why do noobs always call their hatch a hatchi but no one ever calls their coupe a couchi?

haymaker

• Bad ass
  • bloodthirstyhatetheupright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 10:28:16 AM »
move back to az, i wanna race you :)

Dubsky

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »
NO LATERALS! ONLY FORWARD!

Ordered/have:
Exhaust pieces-reducers-straight-45-bullet resonator-muffler
Same as before but 3 inch after downpipe.
So when/if I get a jsp manifold and can use my 3" downpipe everything will be already in place/same size.

755cc injectors-
Want to eventually go e85 after experiencing how awesome timing is, rather have timing then more boost.

Nismo Clutch pivot-
I broke a stock one before

Spec stage 3 Clutch-
Want to see how long this one will hold up first.

Aluminum Sheet for my gauge cluster and a bunch of hole saws.

LC-1 wide-band- Will run the analog out (1-5v) to my power fc datalogit.
You tell the power fc to disregard the stock 02 sensor (fuel compensation) anyway so I'll swap it out at that time.

Size r drill bit and 1/8 27 npt tap- Make a water temp port in my water neck.

Small Aeromotive inline fuel pressure gauge- My last one was huge, I don't know what my nismo fpr is set at.

Spark plugs- Copper for your dome piece.

Straight Pipe with greddy BOV flange- Turbos are expensive, 16" long is a perfect replacement for my current hot pipe.

Re-circ horn fitting for the greddy- My car won't try to die when coming to a stop now. YAY Only problem is how small the 86 engine bay is. In order to run a filter on the maf I run the maf off the turbo intake 45 coupler. No piping in-between will fit unless I trim my couplers down and get at least 1" of pipe to show so I can put a port in.

Still need to order:
Paint for engine bay?
Power fc dataloggit $330
JSP Mani $850
Finish Exhaust
Tomei Poncams $340
Street Tune it on 93 Octane
Lines to run e85 ??
Street Tune e85
Dyno

Yeah all that isn't happening till 2013 if at all haha.
10psi on the factory ecu is where I want to stay for the time being.

Registered for an event October 7th in chicago for newbie drifters.
Perfect since I'm doubling my wheel horse.
All I need is to go over the car once making sure everything is tight, install temp sensor, change oil, and figure out what I'm doing with this remote mount oil filter. I should of took it off when the engine was out of the car.

I tried to test drive the car with the hood on and it rubbed through my cas wires. I had to try my spare ecu after half-fixing them on the side of the road to get it to run again. So that's not good. haha

And the sheet metal around my intercooler couplers will eventually rub through them if I don't make the holes bigger so there is no contact.

Besides the gauge cluster itself I think that's it, but it totally won't be when I look at the car.

I'll post pics when photobucket isn't being the slowest POS site ever.

JMax

• Bad ass
  • Not as baller as the Haymaker
    • View Profile
    • JMax Paint Garage
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »
...so it was the right PowerFC then... damn it, you lucked out pretty good.

jmaxgarage.com - jmxg.com
Project a.d.d. since 2001

Dubsky

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »
No, I raped the shit out of that deal. Kouki power FC's are very hard to find in the first place and I got one for free. (wasn't in the price of the motorset)

f4 plug I would of paid 2 maybe 3 million dollars for but got for free from efrain. What a cool guy sucker  :P
Already wired in the car last visit.

The place i got this from ran out of mild steel 45s and sent me a stainless 45 for no extra charge. whatevers

All taken by my mom, I told her to put the cats in the pictures. hahaha

and I resized all the pics down to 400x400 so idk whats going on..
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:47:10 PM by Dubsky »

JMax

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
    • JMax Paint Garage
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »
I see the pics small; if you see the pics pretty huge it's your internet cache.

care to elaborate about your front suspension setup?

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 10:31:28 PM »
Pretty sure your cat just went pee on your clutch bro :P

Dubsky

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »
Tein camber plates- good

Stance gr first gen coil- I probably put more miles on them then Brinkin did going to Wisconsin and back. They are valved for a car with a ka/sr. But are still shit compared to the koni set-up i wanted. But that was 1k just for fronts. They were 3-4 clicks from full hard with the ka and nice (travel and feel wise), now the car's ride height is taller and they seem a little too stiff for the SR. Need to drive it more to prove it's not my imagination.

NST rack spacer- very nice part but idk if I need it? I installed it the same time I installed the 240 junk.
My outer tie rods hit my lca which limits my steering, but it binds at the very end there in parking lot situations and in reverse. I believe I hit lock once or twice doing donuts with the car and it didn't bind so who knows about sliding.
I think the spacer may be hurting more then helping, if not that's why "the dude's build you posted in your thread" moved the rack forward 2 cm. I figured it would help with tie rod thread engagement with the extra track I was gaining.
Knuckles will help to, especially with how quick the steering is. I wish it was a little faster, a more aggressive ratio for initial turn in/initiation. But with a shorter steering arm on a manual rack the steering becomes harder (less leverage). Which brings me to my next part

T3 outer tie rods- rather then fuck with tapered crap I drilled it for their 5/8ths or whatever bolt. the hiems were extremely stiff when first installed. I put both spacers on the tie rod end to drop it down with the control arm. Which in the instructions said might make the steering too light. bullshit, it was almost unsteerable. I lubricated them as they broke in and now the steering is back to normal. The more I drive the more I like the feel.
I believe I lost a tiny bit of angle compared to the 86 setup since the control arms are thicker. I know 86 guys lose angle going from stock width arms to t3 shit because of how thick they are.
Again there is a ton more knuckle support for the s-chassis then the corolla. but getting one with roll center correction for the lca is expensive. Honestly if it wasn't for the bigger brakes, the possibility of all 240 suspension, and the aftermarket support I'd go back to 86 with hts shocks.

Got them for the rear, full soft is too soft, full hard is too hard (like a fucking joke hard), and the adjustment is completely linear. no clicks, the knob free spins and i count the turns from full hard. Amazing piece of suspension. Haven't driven on them too hard yet to comment on the rebound vs bump stiffness.

The main thing I noticed going from 86 to this was the added track. Makes the car so much more stable and confident. I went from blown jic magics to these coils preloaded and it was night and day again with how quick the car reacted and i could actually use my tires grip. Then I drooped the spring because pre-load is for dickheads/slammed cars. (Brinkin had them preloaded because he needed to, having a 1j with the 8k spring rate) So my shocks could actually work and the bumps on the highway wouldn't kill my neck because it rode like a pogo stick.

Now it actually handled handled, I realized why everyone likes grip driving and how I've been driving a pos for the last few years haha.
BUT the car was still so slow. My second ka was weaker then my first, I doubt I had 100 whp. honestly should of kept a 4ag, (only because I like banging limiter, main reason ka blew up) but this car was already converted so it's excusable. I thought this car weighed a ton because of how slow it was. Put the sr in, NOPE light as shit.

The motor originally was at 12ish psi and 20+ degrees base timing. Was quite torquey to say the least with the stock ecu.
I tried the power fc out, which has a more aggressive timing curve and doesn't retard timing for knock at all.
HOLY SHIT, the power/torque was scary. Then I figured out why, put the timing back where it wouldn't blow up. (He said it needed adjustment before we pulled it from the car but goddam) The tps was out of range so at low throttle it thought the throttle was closed and cruise was jerky. Adjusted the iac. This dude threw so many new parts on trying to fix this motors previous problems he created more. (I think he said he ran the wrong ecu)
Once this thing is quite enough to drive on the actual streets and not just my neighbor hood I'll be able to give more feedback. But really, I think everyone who doesn't own an SR86 is wasting their time. funnest thing ever fo sho. (per dollar)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:52:52 PM by Dubsky »

JMax

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
    • JMax Paint Garage
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »
i like your framing

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 04:54:52 PM »
We know your car isnt slow anymore dubsky.. but really wasting our time? Nissan motors ftw? I dont know about that one..
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:00:04 PM by Hackeduphachi »

Dubsky

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 09:56:52 AM »
If you are building it to be fast and are on a budget, dumping money into the 4ag is the worst thing you could do.
Bryce had around 10k into his motor (304 cams-12.5 toda pistons-ferera valves i think?-dual sidedrafts)and even perfectly tuned wouldn't even come close. Going fuel injection, on a stand alone, with race gas, it would be a tie untill I turned up the boost. With a 4.77 or a 5.2 a 4ag would be sweet, but if you drive on the street/highway at all or on a track with a big straight like main. Forget about it. Chase had like 160-180 VERIFIED whp on a 16v and spent the same amount of money, if not more. he had 270 or 280s cams that were holding him back.

Turbo 4agze's are cool, turbo 20 valves, f20/beams (which you do for the sheer awesomeness), haven't seen a 3sgte for a reason.. but to get to a reliable 275-350 wheel? Can't beat the SR's price, driveline aside which would effect every swap. Everyone goes v8-jz for reliable 350-400+ wheel. Stay below that and the SR is the best motor it seems like. (for our cars) Keep it cool, keep oil in it, fix what breaks.
I had a 4ag, it was ok. (Blew the headgasket very quickly when swapped into another car however. haha)
I am not a toyota purist fan boy. I am unbiased.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:20:57 AM by Dubsky »

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 11:44:35 AM »
I know you saved alot of money on labor. What is a realistic price for this swap? 7K-8k to have it done right? I have seen a 3SGTE in a 86. I watched it through its swap. It is pretty involved. But have you seen the internals of the 3sgte? Beefy as shit. Its up there on the list of sick swaps, it will definately make those numbers. I agree with you on the 16v I didnt like it. Nothing against Nissan I have owned three. I have driven/beat the hell out of a handful of sr20s but not in 86. Maybe it is what you say. 200hp in a corolla is no joke and I can imagine 300 would start getting crazy. I guess I will have to go turbo if I want to get nutty, I will miss the ITB sound though. Bring your car out here soon. :)

Dubsky

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »
350ish whp corolla:
https://vimeo.com/17349849

IDK about price for anyone who doesn't work on their own car. Everyone I've met with a corolla except zaxous works on their own stuff or goes to 86 garage to get help.
I bought the car with the mounts/drive shaft/downpipe, half cage, koyo, walbro 255, kouki rear end etc. So I don't consider that in to my price. A s14 sr running in my vehicle I could of done for under 3k if I sold everything I did't need that I got with the swap. Probably not including the pfc.
I just needed two intercooler pipes/couplers, a inter cooler, and a new upper radiator hose. oh and a gauge cluster but I went custom. My fans/shroud I would of eventually needed however.
Today I saw a SR swap with 305 whp on a dyno dynamics in IL for sale for 3k firm (gt28rs, nistune, 850s, etc.)
and there are probably even better deals out there.

I want to bring my car to elevens for a paint jobby, so cheap, soooo good.
and if Firebird didn't close I would just keep it out there, and I saw they are trying to do events at p1 now.

meh, after this next volvo class I'll be a Master Volvo tech. (not just an ASE master)
I'll be worth 3-5 dollars an hour and all the service managers will be on my nuts. It was one of the reason I didn't
move this summer after I visited besides my engine going. The job I want in cali has a structured pay system off your credentials and exprience, and AZ dealers would still give me a raise or pay me more if I was one. But Cali's training schedule was booked for an entire year so Id be stuck earning. well it's more then I earn now but less when you figure in cost of living increase for orange county.

Most AZ dealers don't send their techs to school if they don't need it to avoid giving raises. *cough* Brandon *cough* or even if they are straight who sends the new hire to school before you know he's any good, going to stay, and you've had all your "faithfully" employed sitting around waiting to go, like a list that I would jump. It's an advanced game.
So come October 10th, I'll be a very eligible bachelor. and technician, I guess..
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:45:46 PM by Dubsky »

SidewaysEightSix

• Bad ass
  • It makes sense if you don't think about it....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 10:39:49 PM »
Really? A 4AG vs. SR20 debate. That's like chucking snowballs at the sun.

I LOVE 4AG's but Doug, Dubsky, & Dan are the only 3 smart guys here.  One ride in Dan's car and you will drop your purists love.  That thing is nuts.

Let's put it this way.  The amount I've put into my ST so far, could have bought me a running S14 motor set.  And I've still got more to do AND I'll be lucky to hit 165hp.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:53:51 AM by SidewaysEightSix »
"I'm fat and he's Asian.  Crazy food is bound to come up in conversation."
      "wait, am I the Asian?!"
"yeah bro.  Yeah, I think so."
      "I'm white!"
"visually, yes.  But so is Takumi Fujiwara."

Yes....  You are an expert

ZERO

• Administrator
  • Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 12:39:13 AM »
move back to az, i wanna race you :)
X2
If you are building it to be fast and are on a budget, dumping money into the 4ag is the worst thing you could do.
I will agree with this 100%.
Why do noobs always call their hatch a hatchi but no one ever calls their coupe a couchi?