Author Topic: 1JZ corolla at Speedworld  (Read 12487 times)

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
1JZ corolla at Speedworld
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:57:09 AM »
I took the 1JZ corolla to speed world saturday night.

It ran way faster than it ever did...  then it broke.

I was on street tires because the last couple of times I took the car out, it did not go near fast enough to need the race tires.

My LSD rearend is weak... It won't spin both tires... even old street tires, so I could spin one tire 3/4 the way down the track.

On one run, I got decent traction and ran 14.04 at 103 mph.

Then a few runs later, something let go... coolant all over the place, steam in the car, instantly fogged up the windshield at almost 100 mph.

There's coolant on the headlights, inside the car, everywhere.  Can't tell where its coming from right now.

Since it hasn't run a 13 yet, I can still take passengers and don't need a helmet.

That probably won't last, as soon as I rebuild the LSD, the better traction and race tires should put me well into the 13's.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
Re: 1JZ corolla at Speedworld
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:32:09 PM »
Whew..

After a restless night dreaming of blown head gaskets, warped heads, rusting cylinder walls etc...

I found that my lower radiator hose had popped off of an elbow.

Car runs fine.

Next: LSD rebuild and 5:22 ring n pinion install.

ZERO

• Administrator
  • Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 02:30:10 PM »
Woohoo the turbos are spinning this time!!!!  Glad to hear you made at least one good pass.  I expect 12's next ;)
Why do noobs always call their hatch a hatchi but no one ever calls their coupe a couchi?

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »
With 3 more MPH of trap speed, and 100% traction, it is theoretically possible.  Just barely though.

ZERO

• Administrator
  • Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »
it is theoretically possible.
Simple, more boost :)
Why do noobs always call their hatch a hatchi but no one ever calls their coupe a couchi?

retfirdiikm

• AZT Member
  • Road's closed pizza boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »
...........Next: LSD rebuild and 5:22 ring n pinion install.
Twincharger, long time no see, Kurt in Tucson here. Got me curious, why such a short R&P choice there? And what exactly are we talking about here? AE? TE? What differential is in the car? Trans?
Regards
'95 Corolla 370k& ticking...
'80 2dr Corolla 6M,s366,W58,G series

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:44:10 PM »
it is theoretically possible.
Simple, more boost :)

Can't... yet.

I'm at 13 psi.  The factory computer shuts fuel off at 15 psi.

The 1JZ turbos don't put out enough air for any more boost.

I will be adding a second computer shortly to drive the second set of injectors to keep up with the bigger turbo that I have.

OR just add a 50-shot of nitrous.  That should get me there.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:58:01 PM »
...........Next: LSD rebuild and 5:22 ring n pinion install.
Twincharger, long time no see, Kurt in Tucson here. Got me curious, why such a short R&P choice there? And what exactly are we talking about here? AE? TE? What differential is in the car? Trans?

Hi Kurt,  What's new?

AE, 1JZ, 79 supra rearend, A340LE automatic.

The auto trans I have has overdrive with a ratio of .71, and a lockup torque convertor, so no slippage when it is engaged.

With my current 3.90 gears, my top speed on 26 inch drag slicks is 168 mph at 6000 rpm.  That's too tall.

With the 5.22 gears, my top speed is 125 mph at 6000 rpm.

If i'm doing 125 mph at the traps, that's a 10-second 1/4 mile, which takes about 600 horsepower.

That's about all I'll need.

I should gain RPM faster in first gear, and build boost sooner.  I don't have a high stall convertor.

I have enough fuel injectors for 700 hp, a turbo in the garage big enough for 550hp, and a nitrous kit partially installed.

Dubsky

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 11:12:12 PM »
How much did you space the front subframe down to fit the motor and the hood closes.
Jsp sr spacers are 1"

retfirdiikm

• AZT Member
  • Road's closed pizza boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 12:13:11 AM »
Ahh that would explain lol. What is the rear end setup? 4 link bars ect? Maybe a build thread? How is it leaving the line? Big thumbs up tho love to see stuff like that close to home.  8)

Regards
'95 Corolla 370k& ticking...
'80 2dr Corolla 6M,s366,W58,G series

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 12:20:53 AM »
How much did you space the front subframe down to fit the motor and the hood closes.
Jsp sr spacers are 1"

None...

I made the lower engine mount brackets, and the oil pan is about 1/2 inch from the crossmember.  The rear of the transmission is as high as it will go, and the underhood webbing is smashed flat.

The hood rubs a little. but it closes.  It's a very tight fit in every direction.  The trans tunnel was hammered a bit, and the main pulley is 1/4 inch from the lower radiator support bar.  The radiator is in front of the radiator support bar, and installed backwards.  Lots of details..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:22:50 AM by twincharger »

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 12:44:33 AM »
Ahh that would explain lol. What is the rear end setup? 4 link bars ect? Maybe a build thread? How is it leaving the line? Big thumbs up tho love to see stuff like that close to home.  8)

79 Supra 7.5 inch axle.  Modified 4-links, homemade half-n-half.  One end stock rubber bushings, the other end heim joints.  Welded-on traction brackets.  I welded brackets onto the housing for a torque arm.  I haven't actually made one yet.

I took the third member out of the housing today because I was spinning one tire yesterday, and guess what?  Spider gears. No LSD.  The rearend is open, but the bearings were so bad that if you spin one tire by hand the other tries to spin the same direction.

I installed a toyota LSD unit into it, now to set the gears to mesh properly and get a new gasket.. should be ready to go in a few days.

Oh, now I caused another problem.  The ECU has a speed sensor that limits the original car to 180 kph or 112 mph.  Well, my new gearset will put that speed limiter at 86 mph.  That's about 4000 rpm in 4th.   You say 'Cut the wire to the speed sensor!!'  I heard you think it...  no, I have 3 speed sensors on my automatic transmission, and they all have to work, or it dumps me into 3rd gear and won't shift.  I have to build a circuit to fool it into thinking that I'm not going as fast as I am.

HKS makes a SCD, speed cut defenser...  But I have a nearby Radio Shack and some 555 timer chips.  :)

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 12:49:09 AM »

I had a build thread before the old board crashed...

How's it leaving.... haha.  Have you ever seen a 3-second 60-ft.?

Tall gears, no boost at stall speed, open rearend and no traction when boost hits.

SDSK

• Bad ass
  • second time "couchi" owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »
So you have the twincharged SR5 and this beast? You are becoming my hero...

Dubsky

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »
His third car is cooler.