Author Topic: 1JZ corolla at Speedworld  (Read 11492 times)

aqa540

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1JZ corolla at Speedworld
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »
...........Next: LSD rebuild and 5:22 ring n pinion install.
Twincharger, long time no see, Kurt in Tucson here. Got me curious, why such a short R&P choice there? And what exactly are we talking about here? AE? TE? What differential is in the car? Trans?

Hi Kurt,  What's new?

AE, 1JZ, 79 supra rearend, A340LE automatic.

The auto trans I have has overdrive with a ratio of .71, and a lockup torque convertor, so no slippage when it is engaged.

With my current 3.90 gears, my top speed on 26 inch drag slicks is 168 mph at 6000 rpm.  That's too tall.

With the 5.22 gears, my top speed is 125 mph at 6000 rpm.

If i'm doing 125 mph at the traps, that's a 10-second 1/4 mile, which takes about 600 horsepower.

That's about all I'll need.

I should gain RPM faster in first gear, and build boost sooner.  I don't have a high stall convertor.

I have enough fuel injectors for 700 hp, a turbo in the garage big enough for 550hp, and a nitrous kit partially installed.

You are on the thin line of absolutely dope or just bloody insane. lol that car looks like an american muscle car's nightmare. that is an awesome car bro.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 05:28:19 PM »
His third car is cooler.

Hey!  no spoilers.

I failed 3 times to get collector car insurance on the 1JZ car, first because they didn't ask about the mods, so they looked at the blue book value and said forget it. 
Next time because of the roll bar.  So, safety equipment makes a car harder to insure?  What if I took out my seat belts? then maybe?
Third time too many mods... go figure, that's the point!  Chevelle with a blower? Sure!  A toyota with a 6? no way!

So, I kinda gave up on that, now I'm gearing it for pretty much track only.

But that other car in the backyard might qualify easier for the collector's insurance.  :)   

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 05:35:42 PM »

You are on the thin line of absolutely dope or just bloody insane. lol that car looks like an american muscle car's nightmare. that is an awesome car bro.

I never had an American muscle car.  I'm just making a Japanese one.

aqa540

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 07:18:22 PM »
word.  ;D

SidewaysEightSix

• Bad ass
  • It makes sense if you don't think about it....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 10:29:57 PM »
She sure has changed a lot.  Awesome pregress
"I'm fat and he's Asian.  Crazy food is bound to come up in conversation."
      "wait, am I the Asian?!"
"yeah bro.  Yeah, I think so."
      "I'm white!"
"visually, yes.  But so is Takumi Fujiwara."

Yes....  You are an expert

aqa540

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 10:47:50 PM »
hey twincharger what kind of brakes are you using to stop that thing?

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 11:07:02 PM »
Stock.  No parachutes or anything.

I only have to stop once every 10 minutes or so... fade is not a problem.

So I got the rearend gears changed, added LSD and set up the backlash and carrier preload.

I am a gasket and 3 quarts of gear oil from being done.

Does anyone know if I can get a pumpkin gasket from Checker/Autozone?

SidewaysEightSix

• Bad ass
  • It makes sense if you don't think about it....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 01:10:28 AM »
^ you can for sr5, Zenki, and kouki GTS.  I'm sure Supra is no different.

Felpro is what they carry.
"I'm fat and he's Asian.  Crazy food is bound to come up in conversation."
      "wait, am I the Asian?!"
"yeah bro.  Yeah, I think so."
      "I'm white!"
"visually, yes.  But so is Takumi Fujiwara."

Yes....  You are an expert

aqa540

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 02:49:31 PM »
Stock.  No parachutes or anything.

I only have to stop once every 10 minutes or so... fade is not a problem.

So I got the rearend gears changed, added LSD and set up the backlash and carrier preload.

I am a gasket and 3 quarts of gear oil from being done.

Does anyone know if I can get a pumpkin gasket from Checker/Autozone?

yeah i guess that would work just fine then.

eightsix

• Sr. AZT Member
  • woogy boogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »
When are you going out to Speedworld again to test your new mods, Chris?

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »
This weekend is supposed to be cold and rainy, so I'll jut be working on the car.

I was working out of town this week, so got nothing done.

Rearend should be going back together tonight, then I need to build a speed cut defender and make an electric speedometer, otherwise my top speed will be 88 mph.  Then I might travel backwards thru time or something.

Hopefully next weekend...  Is your truck working yet?

retfirdiikm

• AZT Member
  • Road's closed pizza boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
...........Next: LSD rebuild and 5:22 ring n pinion install.
Twincharger, long time no see, Kurt in Tucson here. Got me curious, why such a short R&P choice there? And what exactly are we talking about here? AE? TE? What differential is in the car? Trans?

Hi Kurt,  What's new?

AE, 1JZ, 79 supra rearend, A340LE automatic.

The auto trans I have has overdrive with a ratio of .71, and a lockup torque convertor, so no slippage when it is engaged.

With my current 3.90 gears, my top speed on 26 inch drag slicks is 168 mph at 6000 rpm.  That's too tall.

With the 5.22 gears, my top speed is 125 mph at 6000 rpm.

If i'm doing 125 mph at the traps, that's a 10-second 1/4 mile, which takes about 600 horsepower.

That's about all I'll need.

I should gain RPM faster in first gear, and build boost sooner.  I don't have a high stall convertor.

I have enough fuel injectors for 700 hp, a turbo in the garage big enough for 550hp, and a nitrous kit partially installed.

Still in the build process but I think you'd like this.

http://www.3tcgarage.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11410

Main focus lately has been hacking the diff up and getting it mocked. Im hoping to do my four link mounts this weekend, weather is getting awesome here.

edit: Lmk if anyone has parts listed as needed! Still trying to determine if the g series gear sets out of supra's will work in a truck third... I have a v6 third so I could utilize the MkIII's LSD but I am unsure of the gears sets themselves. Ideally I'd like even taller Ie 3.55 3.42... but 3.73 gear set from an 89+ would be my best bet
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:00:19 AM by retfirdiikm »
Regards
'95 Corolla 370k& ticking...
'80 2dr Corolla 6M,s366,W58,G series

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »

Main focus lately has been hacking the diff up and getting it mocked. Im hoping to do my four link mounts this weekend, weather is getting awesome here.

edit: Lmk if anyone has parts listed as needed! Still trying to determine if the g series gear sets out of supra's will work in a truck third... I have a v6 third so I could utilize the MkIII's LSD but I am unsure of the gears sets themselves. Ideally I'd like even taller Ie 3.55 3.42... but 3.73 gear set from an 89+ would be my best bet

wait... wut?

Are you saying that you have an 8-inch rearend housing that is the same width as a corolla's housing?  From what may I ask?

I was going to suggest Weir axles, but they are 27 spline, and you just went to 30.

I just finished putting a MkII supra's 7.5 inch LSD into a 79 Supra's carrier and housing with truck gears...  So it sounds like Supra and truck parts are interchangeable as long as they are the same letter code.

Just a suggestion, but put a transmission on the engine before you determine a final location.  I ended up a couple inches forward and it still a very tight fit for the transmission.

...and take more pictures.

retfirdiikm

• AZT Member
  • Road's closed pizza boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »

wait... wut?

Are you saying that you have an 8-inch rearend housing that is the same width as a corolla's housing?  From what may I ask?

I was going to suggest Weir axles, but they are 27 spline, and you just went to 30.

I just finished putting a MkII supra's 7.5 inch LSD into a 79 Supra's carrier and housing with truck gears...  So it sounds like Supra and truck parts are interchangeable as long as they are the same letter code.

Just a suggestion, but put a transmission on the engine before you determine a final location.  I ended up a couple inches forward and it still a very tight fit for the transmission.

...and take more pictures.
The housing is out of an 85 toy truck 4x4. The pre86 housings are the same width WMS-WMS. The carriers from supra to truck themselves are interchangeable, provided you have a v6 third member(can provide link with info on this)... the gears on the other hand I have not been able to verify cause no one puts a tall gear in a 4x4 lol. And I will absolutely have a trans on when I do my final mock and fab. 
Regards
'95 Corolla 370k& ticking...
'80 2dr Corolla 6M,s366,W58,G series

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 09:12:05 PM »
Does the truck housing use leaf springs, or 4-link?  Doesn't the 4-runner have 4-link?