Author Topic: 1JZ corolla at Speedworld  (Read 11491 times)

TheRollingZoku

Re: 1JZ corolla at Speedworld
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »
^Josh is the man!!! I need to see what other awesome cars you have as I've only seen the twin charged 8|6 at 8/6 day.

Bring me center caps and you get the grand tour!

DEALS! Plus you'll get some interior footage!

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2012, 04:06:14 PM »
I dont run 11s and I have door bars  ;D I think ae86 needs door bars... Have you seen these doors?

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2012, 12:11:14 AM »
I dont run 11s and I have door bars  ;D I think ae86 needs door bars... Have you seen these doors?

It's pretty unusual for someone to hit you in the door while drag racing.  Drifting maybe...

I may need them soon for body reinforcements.

My front end was put together after paint, and all the body seams lined up, the headlights were straight...  Now there are gaps under the drver side headlight only, the headlight to hood gap is funky  and things aren't lining up as well as I remember they did.

This car has no rust and hasn't been in an accident, the body should be strong.  It's only a half-second quicker than the twincharged car that I have been beating on for 10+ years, and that one shows no body panel displacement.

The doors still line up fine, so I'm not bending the car into a taco yet...

Weird.

SDSK

• Bad ass
  • second time "couchi" owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2012, 06:20:16 AM »
Only a half second faster? Wow that's impressive for the twincharged rolla... How many lbs are you running in the twin from supercharger to turbo? I remember you said the supercharger cuts off at a chosen rpm so I'm just assuming they are pushing different lbs.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 09:32:54 AM »
Only a half second faster? Wow that's impressive for the twincharged rolla... How many lbs are you running in the twin from supercharger to turbo? I remember you said the supercharger cuts off at a chosen rpm so I'm just assuming they are pushing different lbs.

...and that half second is because of traction issues.  I'm not going to put slicks on a rolla with a T-50 trans and GTS rearend.  That would just scatter parts.  My best times are run when boost is turned down!

The twincharged car gets about 6 psi from the supercharger.  The 20v flows more air than the 16v, so the same amount of air is flowing thru the 20v at 6 psi as the 16v at 8 psi.  Remember boost is measuring how much air is NOT flowing thru the engine...

The turbo has a stock wastegate on it set for about 9 psi.

6 supercharger psi + 9 turbo psi = 19 psi of boost.

wait.. wut?

To calculate compound boost, you don't add boost, you multiply pressure ratios.

The turbocharger, at 9 psi makes a pressure ratio of 1.61, The outgoing air is 61% more dense than atmospheric, for a 61% increase in power.

6 psi of supercharger boost is a pressure ratio of 1.4.  So the supercharger makes the outgoing air about 1.4 times as dense as the air coming in.  So you get a 40% increase in power.

Plumb them sequentially and you multiply the pressure ratios. The supercharger is compressing the air it recieves at a ratio of 1.4:1.  That will not change unless I change pulleys.  It has no idea that the air it recieves is already 1.6 times as dense as the atmosphere.

1.4 * 1.61 = 2.26  The combined pressure ratio is 2.26.  convert to boost.. (14.7 * 2.26) - 14.7 = 18.5 psi.

That much boost moves a lot of air thru a 20v.  I have a full street exhaust with catalytic convertor, crush bent pipes with some really narrow spots, and a cheap stock MR2 intercooler.  In the summer months I let the supercharger turn off at 5000 rpm, just to keep peak power and temps down a bit.  I get a lot of backpressure in the exhaust, and if I keep cramming air into the engine, it makes temps go way up.

It is still fun to spin the tires at 40 mph in second gear though.    :)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:36:11 AM by twincharger »

SDSK

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2012, 10:41:42 PM »
Your my hero... Although I thought you had a different engine. So 20v is the way to go if I want to do the same kind of set up. Oh master, PLEASE TEACH ME YOUR WAYS!!!!

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 12:20:42 AM »
Your my hero... Although I thought you had a different engine. So 20v is the way to go if I want to do the same kind of set up. Oh master, PLEASE TEACH ME YOUR WAYS!!!!

Just a bunch of stock 4A Toyota parts. 20V block and head, 4agze crank, rods and pistons, 4agze supercharger and add a T3 turbo.

If I were to do it again, I'd use a bigger turbo, something like a t3/t4 with at least a .68 turbine.  Bigger than the t3  .48 turbine I have now.

The twincharging part was easy, the pain was moving all the accessories around, using the non-standard 4agze crank pulley, putting A/C P/S and alternator all on the right side of the engine.

Then the electronics...  custom computer,  custom cam sensor, no crank sensor, no distributor, coilpacks, wideband, 2 fuel pumps, VVT, supercharger control, used to have a knock sensor....  all in an SR5.   quite the project.

SDSK

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2012, 07:38:53 AM »
Well I got the SR5.... I guess that's a start... When it comes to the 20v where do you get the head gasket from and related parts? I herd they are hard to come by.

TheRollingZoku

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2012, 08:33:22 AM »
@TwinCharger very interesting read on the info you posted.

@SDSK, go make friends in NZ or Australia then you will have no problems getting a 20V headgasket, or hit me up and I can get you one.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »
Well I got the SR5.... I guess that's a start... When it comes to the 20v where do you get the head gasket from and related parts? I herd they are hard to come by.

My head gasket is a Cometic for a 4ag.

I thought I would not be able to find parts either, so I bought a spare head... that has been sitting for many years untouched.

From the headgasket down, it is all 4agze, I can get waterpumps, timing belt, accessories, and gaskets locally.

A 16v header works, with a little mod to one or two bolt holes/

For the electronics, the parts are Ford, Isuzu, radio shack, and digi-key. Fuel pumps are Bosch (volvo). Injectors are Supra. Radiator and fans are Hyundai. Hoses are custom.  Almost all from junkyards.

I only have 2 high-performance parts on the car.

The clutch and an HKS spark amplifier to drive the coilpacks.

Oh, and an Ebay blowoff valve, if that even counts.

SDSK

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »
Really? Well i guess the stand alone computer counts as high performance as well unless its just a piggy back system. So basically this build can be done on a budget except for a few items and wireing. I am seriously considering doing this set up if you don't mind me copying your design for the most part.