Author Topic: i hate my car  (Read 15765 times)

FATagent

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
i hate my car
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »
I picked up my first 240 Saturday the 28th. Its a Black 92 Hatch with 17inch Drag rims, a J30 Diff and Ksport lowering springs at all four corners.
I was pretty happy since its my first car that i had bought with my own money. Well within 26 hours of buying the car it decided it wanted to play games and throw a rod.
My drive home from work at 4:30am sunday turned into crap as the block exploded and the I17 became the proud new owner of a piece of the block out of my car.
So now I'm in the process of taking the old busted motor and putting in a fresher KA.
I've never taken a motor out and really never worked on a car till now. So this whole process is a huge learning curve. The new motor is a mixture of a S14 KA bottom end and a S13 Ka Head.
So yeah I've been on this forum for a while and this is my intro thread lol.
One Day i will own a toyota. Now for the pics the last pic is the whole in the old block

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:39:31 PM by FATagent »

braide86

Re: i hate my car
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:12:21 PM »
Sucks to hear about the motor.
I had the same problem with my wifes new ride. well, not really. Hers overheated after 10miles. 24hrs after she got it.
You just cant trust anybody when buying cars these days.

Anyways, at least KA motors are cheap to come by.

jimmyde

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 08:08:22 PM »
YUP! Parts are easy to come by and they are super easy to work on, Lots of info on the Interweb :P Make sure to pick up a Chiltons or some kind of manual to help ya along the way. Good luck! ;D

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:32:26 PM »
Wow.  I hope you didn't pay a lot for it.

Well, the good news is that after you rebuild one motor,  you can rebuild them all... Pretty much...

Phunk Monkey

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »
That sucks but can't you guys take to small claims if they gave you false information and sold you a lemon?
Reviving old threads since 1995

FATagent

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
That sucks but can't you guys take to small claims if they gave you false information and sold you a lemon?

Idk I bought the car in January so kinda too late To get money back or anything. 

braide86

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:01:33 PM »
I believe that the lemon law only applies to dealerships. Private party sales are an "as is" deal. Unless otherwise specified by both parties in a bill of sale.

errin

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:15:02 PM »
lemon law of arizona does not cover just dealerships.  it covers private party sales as well.  the main dispute is not whether the seller states if it is "as is"   or with warranty.    the dispute is how the cars stated condition is.   for instance if the seller stated in an email the he would "  not hesitate to drive this car anywhere"  as it was his daily, then that statement would leave you to believe this car was not in need of any immediate maintenance and was ready to take for a drive. 

you sound surprised the engine blew so i think it is safe to say the seller was dishonest.   would gather up all exchanges of info you have and see what sort of statements the seller made.   these can be loose statements, for instance if he hands you a bunch of paperwork and says he changes the oil every 3000 and is was taken to so and so recently and they gave it a 9/10 blah blah blah.   

you main arguement is proving that the actual condition is less than stated  condition making it a lemon.     you could have a 50k dollar car that runs perfect, but if stated value was 200k saying it shits hugs, makes it a lemon if it doesnt actually shit said hugs.   

also i believe the statute on the law is in years.   i would contact the seller, basically tell him what will go down if he doesnt at least help rectify the situation.  and if he doesnt help bring the full extent of the law on his ass.  let him know that if a judge rules in your favor you are entitled to  money to make up for hardship he has caused on you.   

even if you have no proof, lets say if the deal was done all verbally, chances are he has done this a few times and has a couple previous cases against him,  or he has lots of car sales on his record without a commercial license, which is a red flag as well.  and will sway a judge in your favor.             

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:54:47 PM »
I was told that there is a 48hr law in Az. Even in (as is) private sells. So if the car has a major failure (motor ,trans, ect.) You can get your money back. As stated above it has gone past this time frame. It would be very hard to prove that its not something that you caused to happen. I would write it off as a learning experience, and build the car how you want it. There are so many options with a S13. Make a budget, pick a motor and build the car of your dreams.

Its not illegal to sell a car with out a dealer lic. Not everyone selling a car has 100k and a home or property to put up. That what getting one takes. You can transfer 4 titles a year and that's if you put the car into your name before selling it.

With that being said its not advised you take a sellers word over your best judgement. Be educated, know what problem areas to look for on a that model car. Don't make rushed decision, its good to sleep on it. Look at as many cars as possible before making a decision. Buyer beware

errin

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »
lemon law is 2 years or 24,000 miles for new cars  or 15 days and 500 miles for used.. unless the guidelines for revealing problems or stating a shorter warranty are followed.  the guidelines just outline how you have to state it on the bill of sale.       

i wasnt trying to say that you cant resale a car without a license.   i was trying to point out that these kind of things are not usually isolated incidences and that the seller probably has a paper trail of people either filing against him, or just a bunch of car sales.   if  judge were to see anything like that it could sway the judgement in your favor.   

i think you have a case,   is it worth it is up to you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:25:07 PM by errin »

FATagent

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 04:33:38 PM »
I bought the car from a kid my age. Im just going to call it a learning a expericence and move on.
Now onto the plans for the car. Id like to go 1jz sometime the end of the year after i get a few drift events under my belt.
So i will start upgrading with coilovers im leaning toward Ksports since there local and i cant help but buy from local companies.
The interior was kinda nasty when i got it so I ripped that out when i was working on taking the motor out.
I dont have to have emissions till OCT 2013 so i can keep the car  registered and legal till then.
I don't plan on this car looking the best since its my first car build and i plan on drifting the piss out of this car so paint is kinda a eh.

Phunk Monkey

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 08:04:29 PM »
I remember reading about what Errin said, they can't lie in their ads.  That's why I always keep screen captures when looking.
But you've manned up, good for you.  Good luck with the build.
Reviving old threads since 1995

JMax

• Bad ass
  • Not as baller as the Haymaker
    • View Profile
    • JMax Paint Garage
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 04:21:07 AM »
Get an n/a red Sr20de motorset. It's a.n awesome start imho. Many options available once you want to go turbo. They are cheap from the get go too.

jmaxgarage.com - jmxg.com
Project a.d.d. since 2001

FATagent

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 06:58:29 AM »
Get an n/a red Sr20de motorset. It's a.n awesome start imho. Many options available once you want to go turbo. They are cheap from the get go too.
My KA is already built asnd ready to go in the car.

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
Then quit slackin and put your motor back in.