Author Topic: why do YOU... LOVE Toyotas so much?  (Read 2542 times)

jimmyde

why do YOU... LOVE Toyotas so much?
« on: February 05, 2013, 11:19:55 PM »
I was really big into Mitsubishi back in 98, up until just a couple years ago, I had a 4g63t powered Mirage, a ralliart lancer an evo8 and a couple other mitsu's. I always swore I'd be a Mitsubishi man and even thought of getting a Mitsubishi tattoo lmao! All of a sudden I got a couple cressidas, did some 5spd swaps and even had one that I put a 1j into. Now I can't get enough old school toyota!! Im hooked and don't know wtf haha! On top of my te31, ke26 and the te21 I want a te38 a mango and also an 80's Toyota van!!! My gawd I need help... I also want a 70ish crown I can keep going. So other then just making a post to rant, why did YOU guys get into Toyotas? I hope I'm not the only one with a Toyota addiction.

toywagon82

Re: why do YOU... LOVE Toyotas so much?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:25:58 PM »
I grew up with em man!my uncle used to hook up my car seat to his rollcage in his 80 and take me to azusa canyons when i was little..had to be that or my mom taking me to school in her gts!theyre fun reliable and inexpensive toys.

jimmyde

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:32:34 PM »
^that's awesome... I was split between an m30 and a cressida, I picked up my first mx83 for $450. It scares me to think that if I would have found a cheap m30 I would have turned into a nissan guy! Lol

toywagon82

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 11:38:22 PM »
Lol im glad we have you on our kickball team jim ot else my wagon would be down still!hurrray for cressidas!

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 11:40:14 PM »
I drove a Triumph thru college.  That was a LOT of upkeep, pushrods, valve adjustments, dual carbs to balance and adjust, finicky distributor, overheating, Lucas electrical system ugh! Every electrical connection in the car was loose. Went thru 3 water pumps in a week.  The car required a LOT of attention, but convertible, 6-cylinder, awesome handling sports car!

Then for graduation I got a second hand Corona 4-door as a reliable car to get to work.  I beat the hell out of that car for 12 years and never touched the carb, never adjusted a valve, never had an electrical problem, and it was faster than some mid-80's V8's that my friends drove, never attracted any unwanted attention from the law.  I was impressed..  Then I found that there was a sleek 2-door from the same company with the same reliability...  I bought a 74 celica.  I still have it.  It has had 5 engines in it, and a 6th on the way, been repainted and autocrossed.

My wife bought an SR5 new in 87.  As an autocrosser I loved the newfangled rack and pinion steering.  It just needed more power...  so eventually it got a twincharged 20v.  We still have it.

Then I bought an AE86 to build from the ground up.  It has a 1JZ, slicks and is set up to drag race.

I also had a Toytota truck, my wife had a cressida, my daughter drives the Camry we bought in 2000.  No complaints with any of them.

jimmyde

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 12:18:43 AM »
Twincharger has Toyotas that I loathe! Especially that Celica! Such a sexy beast!!!

Swishercorolla

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 12:21:43 AM »
My very first car was an 85 toyota celica, best car i ever owned, i grew up with toyota and always being around them, learn to wrench on a toyota,  they make the best car and i will always go with an old school toyota!
corolla way of life

SidewaysEightSix

• Bad ass
  • It makes sense if you don't think about it....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 12:35:38 AM »
Growing up my moms friend had a poop brown 84 sr5 hatch.  I loved it!  U was only a wee little pup, and didn't understand what it was at the time, and no one understood my passion with it. Hell, I couldn't even prenounce Toyota correctly.

Then I grew up in the Castrol/Toyota era where the GT-Four celica was winning all sorts of WRC stages, and the Supra was competing in JGTC.  Loved those cars. 

I also grew up watching dirt track racing where you steer with the throttle, and slide inches apart.  Naturally, this love escalated to drifting where tire smoke is as thick as the mud.  It was when I started looking more into Rwd imports that I discovered my long lost love, the AE-Hachi-Roku.  From then on out, I wanted a hatch like the one I fell in love with as a little kid.  The more I started following Japan drifting (at the time drifting was very unknown in the states) and Japanese drivers, I knew I wanted a white 86 hatch, clean body, pretty basic, with tons of work done under the surface.

Of course Initial D came around and only fueled my passion more.  The more I dig into this car, and the more I learn about her siblings, the more I like them.  I dig all card, but Toyota will forever own a soft spot within me.

I own 5 toyota's as of today
"I'm fat and he's Asian.  Crazy food is bound to come up in conversation."
      "wait, am I the Asian?!"
"yeah bro.  Yeah, I think so."
      "I'm white!"
"visually, yes.  But so is Takumi Fujiwara."

Yes....  You are an expert

jimmyde

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 12:36:17 AM »
^^old-school, that is the way to go! I need me a ke10 as well :-\

jimmyde

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 12:41:27 AM »
Yes... Initial D! First time I watched an episode was like 99ish? It was love at first sight! Shit I was 20 and thought I could drift my Mirage with the parking brake !!! Bwahaha! Good times. 8)

BoxyShazam

• Bad ass
  • Goodbye yellow brick road
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 07:35:06 AM »
It's funny you ask why I love Toyota. I'm not entirely sure myself. I feel like I've been brainwashed and inducted into a cult that worships old, "interesting" cars. If you had told me a year ago I'd own a station wagon of any make I would have said you were crazy. If you had told me I would then fucking LOVE that wagon I would have fought you lol. Now though I can't see owning anything else.

JMax

• Bad ass
  • Not as baller as the Haymaker
    • View Profile
    • JMax Paint Garage
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 08:22:18 AM »
my dad always had toyota trucks and cars. I continued the tradition (except when I got an awesome deal on my old durango).

Everybody knows older toyotas last FOREVER.

jmaxgarage.com - jmxg.com
Project a.d.d. since 2001

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »
Twincharger has Toyotas that I loathe! Especially that Celica! Such a sexy beast!!!

loathe ??    Aw, Jimmy !!

jimmyde

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 12:54:54 PM »
^^^ its supposed to say "LOVE" damn it. :(
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:57:24 PM by jimmyde »

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »
My passion for cars started when I was a couple years old. I remember the excitement I felt when my dad would pull up in his bright orange superbee   ;D it was loud and fast and the coolest thing to me. He would do burn offs with me in the car and I fell in love with it. It was my favorite car until I bought my own car at 16. But I also loved my moms rx7 she drove it like she was an autocross driver lol. It was only two seats so half the time I ride in back and hold on for my life and she would say cop and I would have to duck lol. That went on until I was 6 and she had to trade it for something bigger because my bro was on the way. So I have always had JDM love.

The Toyota love started very early too. My grandfather ordered a second gen 4 runner right before it's release. When he finally picked it up he took me on this trip to Canada in it. It was the  nicest thing I had ever been in and it was really good looking to me. After he bought his Yoda everyone else started buying Toyota in our family. My uncle worked at Toyota and I spent alot of time in the show room playing in the supras and celicas. He took me for a ride in a twin turbo targa top mk4 supra and I still want one 15 years later.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:45:23 PM by Hackeduphachi »