Author Topic: Build thread 1JZ-AE86  (Read 30392 times)

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
Build thread 1JZ-AE86
« on: May 02, 2013, 04:36:34 PM »
I have been too lazy to re-create my build thread from the old board, so I'll do it here...   eventually.

For now, I'll share this...

No, you're not seeing double.

The pictures are from yesterday.. and now the exhaust is almost done.

I just have to put in some muffler hangers before connecting the downpipes to the turbos.

Everything is just tack-welded in place, I think I need to rotate the rear turbo a little bit, but there is room for everything.

I have two 3-inch exhausts, the hood closes, no problem.

It's a GT40 that will be feeding a GT37.

The big turbo will be pushing air into the little one.

The big turbo will have its output turned around to point to the smaller turbo.

The combination should spool like stock and have as much top end airflow as the GT40 can put out.

In this case the big turbo will limit me to 550 hp.  It may need an upgrade to get me into the 10's.

That's all for now.

retfirdiikm

• AZT Member
  • Road's closed pizza boy
    • View Profile
Re: Build thread 1JZ-AE86
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:36:37 PM »
why not go smaller like 30r to 35r? and from my understanding you're not talking about compounding. Map me out if you will? Compressed air and Exhaust flows?

Edit: you are talking about compounding, excuse me lol Intake air from big turbo goes into small turbo intake.(over looked your post) my train of thought was exhaust goes small turbo big turbo so who feeds who lol

Ive been pondering getting gnarly on my 85 4x4 with some small compounding and small displacement straight 6...

Good share :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:52:17 PM by retfirdiikm »
Regards
'95 Corolla 370k& ticking...
'80 2dr Corolla 6M,s366,W58,G series

JMax

• Bad ass
  • Not as baller as the Haymaker
    • View Profile
    • JMax Paint Garage
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:06:14 AM »
dude, really? really, dude? you had that all this time and never made a damn build thread?? I want to see how bad you had to cut the trans tunnel and your mounts. Looks pretty awesome... for some reason it reminds me to puerto rican cars :P

jmaxgarage.com - jmxg.com
Project a.d.d. since 2001

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 10:03:21 PM »
Ok.. Build thread starts....  NOW!

David (Sideways86) purchased and disassembled an AE86 in his mom's garage... 

She wanted it gone, so he sold it cheap.

Missing pieces for sure, but what body panels there were, were in pretty good shape.

The twincharged 86 is in the background.

Had a mini-meet. The gang came over and we made motor mounts and dropped an 18RG into the shell.

Missing fenders, interior, engine/trans and was on borrowed wheels.  Nothing but a shell.

18RG and trans made it in all right.

It had blowtorched springs.  Great.

Yay, Fenders !   Yes, this is STOCK ride height of an AE86, There IS an engine in it.

After scrounging for stuff, she was complete. - Except I still had to return the borrowed wheels.

Swapped in a Supra rearend.

Stuck on some 245/50/15's for size.  They fit with the SR5 rearend, but since the Supra's rearend is a little wider, I'm down to 225/50/15

Next post - Paint and wheels.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »
Now that it is complete... It is multi-colored, and the brown is from a rattle can.  REAL car paint just dissolves rattle can paint and makes mud when you spray, so all of the brown rattle-can paint gets sanded off and primered in red. Like so...

Only one spot needed actual body work.

More sanding, then here comes paint!

Paint is done, I picked up a set of Weld draglites and Mickey Thomson slicks from a Mustang guy.

The Wheels have 4x100 and 4x114 bolt patterns, so they fit both Ford AND Toyota!  Lucky me!

8.5 inches wide (about 10 inches wide overall) and 26 inches tall.  They fit without tubs, just mild fender rolling.

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/twincharger/media/pict0001.mp4.html

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/twincharger/media/idle.mp4.html

Carbed 18RG startup

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/twincharger/media/onefinedayinthedesert.mp4.html

Running around in the desert with the 18RG

Next post - 1JZ swap.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »
So we took the 18RG out to the drags, made several runs, then, while idling in the pits, a large bolt magically appeared in cylinder #4 and made all kinds of noise.  It chewed up the piston and the head, but since replacement TRD pistons and 18RG heads are not easy to find, I will just put this engine back together and see what happens.

So, when the 18RG was out, I happened to run across a Craigslist ad for a cheap 1JZ.  Missing coils and electronics, but the engine was all there.

I jumped on it.

I cleaned the pistons with WD-40 and a paper towel.  Almost no carbon build-up and good cylinder hone marks.

Cleaned the head, again with the WD-40 and a paper towel, this thing was really clean.

I lapped all the valves and adjusted valve clearance with shims.

It even had the front sump oil pan that I needed to fit in the corolla.

I had some leftover paint from the car, so I color-matched the engine.

Upgraded to a 3-inch chrome downpipe.

Last pic with the 18RG in the car.

This may be my only pic showing the trans tunnel.

I only hammered the firewall, about 2 inches from the bottom all the way around.

Not much at all, maybe 5 minutes of pounding.

Cut out the radiator support, fitted the new radiator in FRONT of the crossmember, fitted the water/air intercooler.

Cut out the stock engine mounts.  The 1JZ mounts are big rubbery ones about 4 inches thick.

I got a piece of 2-inch square tubing, cut it in half the long way and welded it onto the crossmember.

Then I cut a slot in the top so that the engine mount could move left/right a little.  I had access to the nut to tighten the mount thru the side of the channel.

Air intercooler, radiator, water intercooler, radiator support bar and grill are in.

Throttle body is too long...  and contains a traction control butterfly valve that I won't need.

Disassembled, and shortened the throttle body.

Engine mount, passenger side.

Combination custom rear transmission mount/driveshaft safety loop.

With a custom rear trans mount lifting the rear of the transmission way up, the engine mounts being as low as possible so that the oilpan is 1/4 inch off the crossmember, shortening the throttle body, removing the radiator support, and moving the radiator forward, and flattening the webbing on the bottom of the hood, and relocating the hood safety latch, the hood will close.

The front pulley is about 1/4 inch from the front lower radiator support crossbar thingy.  It can't go any farther forward.  This is needed for clearance between the brake booster and intake manifold.  There is a bit of space behind the engine, but since the transmission is so big, it won't move backwards anymore.  The transmission is tight up in the tunnel.  Getting to the shift linkage is not easy.  The shifter actually sits at an angle in the car because the linkage has to follow the space between the transmission and the transmission tunnel.

A different throttle cable was required, and custom lines and fittings for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. (only one at this stage)

A LOT of wiring later...  it started.

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/twincharger/media/1JZstart-up.mp4.html

Since I was missing the 1JZ coilpacks, I upgraded to 1ZZ igniters.  Nobody runs these on a stock computer, so I was experimenting.
I ran power for dual cooling fans, dual fuel pumps, a water pump for the water/air intercooler, ECU and igniters.  Everything is fused, and uses relays.  The wiring for the stock igniter is gone, the coil packs are installed and gobs of wires to control the automatic transmission are all in.

Thanks to Brinkin for the torque convertor and spare transmission.

Thanks to Brando for the water pump, radiator and throttle body mods.

Thanks to JimmyDe for the welding on the upgrades you will see in the next post.

Next post - upgrades!!

SDSK

• Bad ass
  • second time "couchi" owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:40:59 PM »
Can't wait for the next post! It's like waitting for the next episode of your favorite car show to be released... LOL

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 02:50:40 AM »
Upgrades... They never end, do they?

There's a lot in the car already that nobody will ever see or notice...

Like the addition of a set of 5 more fuel lines that I got from a Supra, so I have 2 complete fuel systems, 2 relays, 2 pumps, 2 sets of lines, 2 regulators 2 sets of injectors and 2 computers... but I'll get to that.

More stuff that had to be done..

Welding for the intercooler and radiator mount.
Adding the gigantic transmission cooler from a ford truck in front of the radiator. 
Flipping the radiator around backwards so that the lower outlet points forward, away from the crossmember, then piecing together copper pipes and elbows to run coolant to the water pump. 
The mods to the 1JZ waterpump housing that allow it to use a 2JZ-GE water pump because the XJZ-GTE one is hard to find. 
A garden hose covered with pipe insulation carrying ice water from the ice chest in the trunk to the liquid/air intercooler in front, and a pump for that, with a relay, a switch and fuse. 
Wire tuck, relocating the fusebox into the fenderwell.
Custom seat bracket. 
3 inch exhaust system with 'turbo' muffler.
Adjustable timing gears.
I made adjustable rear control arms so that I could line up the Supra axle dead center in the wheelwell so that I could run slicks and make pinion angle adjustable. 
Homemade traction brackets on the lower control arms. 
3 inch extended wheel studs on all 4 wheels. 
Driveshaft safery loop. 
Nitrous bottle brackets and hoses.
Battery relocation, alternator rewiring and battery cutoff switch.
Battery brackets, ice chest brackets. 
Fabricated radiator support, hood release and relocated hood safety latch. 
Custom driveshaft fiasco. 
Custom baffling installed in SR5 gas tank all thru that little hole in the top.
Rear axle LSD install from MkII supra, and 5.22 gearset from a truck. 
Dual electric fans. 
Modding and installing an automatic shifter.
Removal of clutch pedal.
Replacing plastic door handle.
Recalibrating the 4-cyl tach to run with a 6 cylinder engine.
Locating bolts to connect the torque convertor to flexplate. - FYI they are 9mm bolts.  Not 10, not 8.  Even Toyota does not have them. 
1ZZ igniter upgrade. - plate to hold igniters.
Megasquirt install, Megasquirt mods to run as piggyback. 
Wiring issues with missing fuel pump computer. 
Wiring issues with the 'main relay' output - Extremely important!   
Wiring issues with crank and cam sensors, bad o2 sensor heater circuit. 
Install HKS Speed cut defender. New gears put speed cut at 85 mph.  I trap at 104.   

One blown turbo on its first outing to the track.
One blown coolant hose on its second outing to the track. 
One bad driveshaft and blown transmission tailshaft housing on its third outing to the track.

So, if you think all I did was drop in 1J, bolt it down and go...  ---Wrong !

There's a LOT more to it than that.  And absolutely NONE of it was done by a shop.

...and still more to go.  Wideband, exhaust pressure gauge, boost gauge, boost controller, nitrous solenoids....

Here's a 13-second run... Still trying to tune the boost controller to stay under boost cut. - didn't work, had to control boost with throttle, the spring in the boost controller was too strong.

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/twincharger/media/PICT0003_zps31d6ae5d.mp4.html

Then the upgrades...

To make the car faster, it needs more air, and more fuel.

You got a sneak peek at the turbos, here's what I'm doing for fuel.

If you have ever priced out some 700 cc/min injectors, you know that they are not cheap, but I am.

The 1JZ intake manifold comes in 2 pieces, a plenum and an injector holder.

I picked up another injector holder and had JimmyDE weld both of them together for me.

I got longer intake manifold studs, and assembled a 12-injector intake in the car.

You can also see the igniter holder that I made.

Since my engine sits kind of forward in the engine bay, I have clearance between the brake booster and the intake manifold.

Now the intake manifold sits a little farther away from the valve cover. No big deal.

So now I have (12) 370cc/min injectors, which should be enough fuel for 700hp

The stock computer runs the first set of injectors, and controls the transmission.  The second set of injectors will be controlled by megasquirt and a wideband O2 sensor.

I bought a rollbar from David.  I upgraded the rear bars to thicker metal to comply with NHRA rules, installed the crossbar and cut off the little feet and added 6 x 6 plates also to be NHRA legal.  They require 6 x 6 plates under the car as well.

Rollbar is in, harness is in, seat is in..  Should be NHRA legal to 11.5 sec 1/4 mile times.

I picked up a chinese exhaust manifold and a couple of big diesel turbos cheap.

Unfortunately the big turbo's turbine side is not clockable, so the oil drain is on the top of the turbo when a normal exhaust manifold is used.  I had JimmyDE weld up a log style manifold so that I could locate the turbo farther forward and rotated 90 degrees from 'normal'.

Of course with this type of manifold, there is nothing stopping me from installing more than one turbo, so here we go...

The small turbo will spool first to about 15 psi and give me about 300 hp, then the big one will spool up and pressurize the inlet of the small one.  It will become more clear after I put a few more pipes in and rotate the outlet of the big turbo to point backwards.

I have another set of intercooler pipes coming in a few days, so I'll get those plumbed and hit Jimmy up for some more Tig welding.

Then I will need some oiling lines for the turbo and finish the megasquirt install and it should run.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:55:34 AM by twincharger »

JMax

• Bad ass
  • Not as baller as the Haymaker
    • View Profile
    • JMax Paint Garage
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:18:35 AM »
sequential setup? Also, what you did to the injector piece is INSANE. 12 injectors... never seen this done before. Ever.

jmaxgarage.com - jmxg.com
Project a.d.d. since 2001

jimmyde

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 11:45:01 PM »
Coming together real nice! It's nice to see what the MAD scientist is up to!

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 12:06:31 AM »
sequential setup? Also, what you did to the injector piece is INSANE. 12 injectors... never seen this done before. Ever.

Cold sides will be compounded, not sequential.

Hot sides will be parallel, but that's because of some trickery that I'll show later.

I've never seen injector holders stacked either, but it should work.  There is almost no taper in that part of the runner, so both injector holders fit together nicely.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 01:09:22 AM »

You'll see when I bring you a pile of parts for welding...

You said you have a shop now..  Where?

j-tin

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 01:35:12 PM »
wow this is a crazy awesome build. 

from rags to the races!

mad scientist was exactly what came to my mind. 

nice work!

Phunk Monkey

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 01:12:08 AM »
I love these types of back-(or front) yard builds.

700HP? Yes please!
Reviving old threads since 1995

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 09:28:25 AM »
That's crazy Chris! Two huge turbos on a 1jz your gonna finally scare yourself lol