Author Topic: Lightweight Flywheel for Super charger  (Read 2578 times)

eightsix

• Sr. AZT Member
  • woogy boogy
    • View Profile
Lightweight Flywheel for Super charger
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:27:45 PM »
The lighter weighted flywheels seems really beneficial for an NA build to get it to top end fast but I'm skeptical if it'd be worth it on a supercharged setup that essentially does the same. Anyone have any knowledge on the matter or that would like to brain storm with me about it based on what they find online? I'd appreciate the discussion.

Wangchung_Tonight

• Bad ass
  • Skid-marks.
    • View Profile
    • Ehhrrr ma gerrd, its merr Ferrsberrk!
Re: Lightweight Flywheel for Super charger
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 06:30:58 PM »
I'd do it. A supercharged builds boost in such a way, that having less weight on the crank wont affect it negatively. A turbo motor may not build boost properly because the engine wants to rip through the rev range.*

*Not speaking from experience with boost, I have none :D BUT, I had a 10lb flywheel on my Honda, and that was the best mod I ever did. I want one so badly on ze 4age...
The legendary pizza delivery 8-6 of Akina.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:46:36 AM »
The difference between the stock and lightweight flywheels is only a pound or two, your car weighs about 2000 pounds.

I don't think it would make enough of a difference to justify the cost.

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »
The lighter flywheel is great for response. The only place I have noticed a difference is track events. During the drift, if your revs aren't climbing you need to clutch kick. That's when you notice the couple hundred bucks you just spent. It's a great mod. Just getting the motor back into the sweet spot is proof enough. Not the overall weight savings. I say go for it.

eightsix

• Sr. AZT Member
  • woogy boogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 02:05:15 PM »
So in comparing the stock 4age flywheel VS an aftermarket light-weight one. I think the extra acceleration opportunity for RPM's has huge merrit, to Chris and Scott's points... That "sweet spot" I know is very hard to keep going at times...

I think initially though, twincharger is probably right in terms of cost VS upgrade points... Something I will have to think more about with my budget fluctuating from family expenses..

Something that twincharger brought up to me in the past that I was hoping would get brought up here was momentum and how it affects my ability to stay in high RPM once I'm already there. So say I'm in a clutch kick-started drift and feathering the throttle... though it takes longer to get to higher RPM, it seems like it would slow down less and help me keep a higher RPM with the heavier flywheel, unless I have to slow down too much. So I'd have to make less corrections where the lighter weight one would require more footing to keep it steady since it slows down and speeds up faster... but... if I needed to slow or I was falling out of the sweet spot... I'd be able to get into it faster...

Thoughts?

SDSK

• Bad ass
  • second time "couchi" owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »
Get it and tune yourself to it. In other words if you already have it then install it and be boss by mastering foot control. LOL

Wangchung_Tonight

• Bad ass
  • Skid-marks.
    • View Profile
    • Ehhrrr ma gerrd, its merr Ferrsberrk!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »
This is the definition of the phrase "over-think" lol Slap it on and enjoy the bump in throttle response!
The legendary pizza delivery 8-6 of Akina.

eightsix

• Sr. AZT Member
  • woogy boogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 10:52:11 PM »
yeah, it is over thought.... lol and I agree with you Rick, that it'll have a lot to do with my preference... To save on immediate funds I'm low on, I'll just balance my crank with a cut stock flywheel to use for a while. When I am ready to redo my clutch setup, I'll address the flywheel too.... this way I get to compare too :P

Brando

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 03:53:04 PM »
How are the accelleration forces derived?

This page makes it look like it requires 32 more hp to spin a fywheel that is 15 lbs heavier.

I'm thinking a 2.5 hp briggs and stratton lawnmower can spin a 15 lb flywheel to redline faster than your car can go down the straight.

Not disagreeing, but those gains sound awfully big.

SDSK

• Bad ass
  • second time "couchi" owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 04:09:16 PM »
....... You guys just lost almost all of us with those numbers... LOL

overspool

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 10:21:58 AM »
Lightweight flywheels (not supercharger pulley) can be A LOT lighter than 2 pounds. The stock flywheel weighs in around 22lbs, and Jun offers a flywheel that weighs 7.9lbs. Just an example here.

As far as building boost with a turbocharger... I think that the load of the vehicle weight is good enough for building boost, and 15 extra pounds lighter for rotational mass isn't going to make much of a difference.