Author Topic: Haymaker's Build: The Duck Is DEAD.. Beware of attack robots!  (Read 62599 times)

Dubsky

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile

this is my lil mule.

it was alot of fun until this happened to the 260,000 4ag
cracked piston

scored cam journals

omg head gasket

so instead of just getting a new 4ag or even perhaps a 4agze, i got all silly and bought

sr20det blacktop

mounts:

cut the shifter hole and welded everything up

added a bomer bar to stiffen up the front

stiched a few things

painted the bay

new pump

i am incapable of having a stock cam cover so i traded the blacktop cover for a redtop one (i guess the blacktop ones are cooler or something) and started grinding

motor in for turbo kit mock up

<FONT COLOR=""lime"">MY SWEET KNOB!</FONT>

water pump pulley back from coating

my current mode of transport matches the heap

time for the manifold
correct placement of turbo is key

collector finished

runner #1 is done

lets take a break to look at my freshly powdercoated manifold

wrinkly

ok back to manifold

all weldededededed up with the wastegate port

manifold with turbo (gt28rs)

and some pics with the wasgate on. i need to get some 1.5 tubing to make the external wastegate dumper

from underneath

i cut out the core support, it was tough to do mentally. now there is no going back :P

then i cut out some little end caps and aaron welded them on. this step isn't done, we are gonna put a back plate on as well because this is where we are gonna mount the intercooler.
raw

welding

plate

the only thing that sucks about this, is that i am going to need more painting done.

then i fabbed up a lil dump tube and welded a lil bit of it then handed it over to aaron to make sure it didn't end up looking like crap

3 inch downpipe

i also fabbed up a little heat shield for the master

i got my stance oil filter relocation block. it's a nice piece, except for the hardware they provide, c'mon guys you could have put washers and lock washers in there. so i used my own hardware because once i added the washer and lock washer the hardware was too short

haven't had alot of time to work on this lately.  too much paying work, that's kind of a good thing tho.
got the lower radiator supports done tho.
time to start mocking up the intercooler so we can mate them together

the reason i am not doing hardly any of the welding:
my tig welds:

aarons tig welds:

granted he's been doing it for ten years and i have never really done it at all, but i am starting to learn a bit more. i figure i might do some more of the welding that won't be seen on the car, like the bottom of my throttle cable bracket (pictured). i'll have him weld the top so it looks pretty.

bought a battery
odyssey 925, its bigger than the normal odyssey, but i may want to run a small stereo.

finally got all my fuel line material from the baller of bolts
i like the silver/black.

somehow i forgot to take a pic of the fpr all finished, oh well.

the only internal improvements i made are a set of tomei rocker arm stoppers, they were very easy to install.
jdm yo

the players

in thier new home

sealed up the top end with all ne gaskets, gromets and punk rock nuts

what is this pile of parts for?

baby shoes!

or... just intercooler end tanks.
here they are welded up being and test fitting for placement

the beginning of the cold side pipe

welded on and mocked in place with an ugly blue silicone

hot side pipe done

time to figure out the bov, not much room with the short pipes but it fits snugly on the cold side

here it is hiding underneath. the red is just for mock up, i'll be buying a black one.

finally, some bracketry to hold the intercooler in place.
start with some home made bosses welded to the radiator core plates

here is the top sode of the bracket

and how it looks from underneath.

i like it because when you look at it from the front, it looks like the intercooler is not supported
here are some "done" pics. i still need to make all the shrouding for it tho.

bought some recaros for my pleasure

and because i can't stop myself from wasting money on stupid ****, i bought a personal steering wheel... it has GREEN stitching!

and lastly started making some beauty plates to cover my butchered trans tunnel

this is the intake i will use to get the car started and driving, i plan on switching to a map based engine management system as quickly as possible, so i just needed a temporary intake that uses the maf.
the final intake will pretty much look the same tho.

here it is

installed

got crafty with some cardboard, cut out some simple shapes. then i bought an extremely expensive piece of aluminum and cut out the same shapes

taped the shapes together in a pleasant way

then aaron welded them up for me

ducks, man... ducks
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:02:56 AM by Dubsky »

Dubsky

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
Re: Haymaker's Build
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:38:02 PM »

lower radiator pipe is done, just need t-bolts

for some reason i like brackets, they are boring to look at, but they are so very critical and usually a bit of design and thought goes into their creation.
here is the bottom bracket after I got done welding it... my skills are slowly improving... slowly

here it is bolted to the bomber bar

with the duct attached

upper bracket

and here are som pics of the car all put together with the ducting and the mock up hood. the only part missing is the lil' grill that goes between the hood and bumper

swirlpot. not being able to weld aluminum, i decided to use tape.

then i mocked up the breather/water fill and had the wu-tang clan weld it all up and make it all nice.

swirly pot all done

i decided to do the upper radiator lines in -16...
the fittings are huuuge.

all the crap in its place... just need brackets.
boosh.

upper water neck modded as well as the upper radiator water neck

finished swirl and breather pot, all they need now is to go out for anodizing (black)

sorry for the horrible pic... i was on heroin.

and as a bonus, my parts are finally back from the anodizer.
black is the new black... my car is gonna be soooo photo unfriendly.

i couldn't see using stock hardware to attach all the  new parts, so i got these.

i'll use these to re-attach the headlights and for the fenders as well. they may not be all that "baller", but they are cost effective

bov

gold finger.
(this is what  happens when my schedule gets messed up and i find myself inventing new things to do to the heap.

decided to mount my toycoolrolla lip... not too bad. makes me want side skirts.

like 16 boners.

got all my lines (except for the pro-gold lines and fittings) from hampton last night

i made my water lines for the turbo.

i also picked up some titanium bolts for the injector caps on the fuel rail. he only had silver, so i decided to give heat a try.
first try

2nd

the rest

i went out and bought normal braided line and made an oil return.
but first aaron had to weld a -10 fitting to the block

here is the finished oil line

its a funny angle, the line is on a continous downward slope
yay.

took everything back apart and stowed it neatly away til i get back from detroit

intercooler duck has finally returned from the powder-coater. it's very smart looking.

today while i was in the process of my weekly redbull theft from the snap on tool guy i looked up and saw a very nice green screwdriver. i need another screwdriver about as much as i need another car. so i bought it anyway and promptly mutilated it. i know this isn't anything original, but it just looks sooo much better than black giant knob i was planning on using.

art shot

here is how it currently sits, no mock up everything that is in the car at this point is meant to stay there.

i do believe everything but the drive shaft should be done by saturday.

hah

so i threw this hood i had laying around on so i could wash the car without fouling up the engine bay...

i was planning on going hoodless until my dmax hood shows up in october, but i may throw some hood pins on and keep this one on until the new hood arrives... it's kinda growing on me.
it may be a little too rotted hood trendy tho.
temporary hood status

yay checker hood pin =(<br /><br />

pics working again!

well, small update.
she is back in pieces due to some minor issues,

but hopefully she'll be up and running againa by tuesday.

new front main seal (old one was leaky)

re-adjust compressor housing

i also installed some gauges. a/f and water temp

the start up tune ended up not being a drive around tune, so i need to get that smoothed out before i start driving it again.
i'll be borrowing efrians ecu for another 3 weeks or so until my ecu is ready to be shipped to me, but i am getting the universal harness early so that can hopefully get done before the ecu arrives. then it is off for power tuning at 15psi.

still waiting on my aem to arrive, it won't be here for another couple of weeks. then the 760cc injectors will go in and the boost will get turned up to 15psi.
i am not looking to make any more than 300 with it.

grill or no grill

grill

no grill

i kinda like no grill because you can then see a lil of the ducting... but with the grill it looks nice and stock.

finally there is a proper h2o overflow can to replace the toyota gear oil can i had been using. kinda brok and nobody wants go in on the anodizing deal with me, so who knows when it'll get anodized. the catch can is getting anodized right now but it is getting done at a different place (a friend is doing it there for free, but its kind of a 1 time thing).
water can

hood is looking goofier

robot covering huge paint chip (poorly)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:40:47 PM by Dubsky »

Dubsky

• Sr. AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:38:57 PM »

i am from detroit so it's ok for me to put a gauge on the hood

stand alone half way there.

gonna do a little more tweeking on the ecu tomorrow.

today i started to gut my spare cluster.

i am going to retain the stock fuel gauge and oil psi gauge.

i'll also be using a mitsu volt gauge out of an evo instead of the idiot light.

i'll have a new face plate waterjet cut after i have collected all the gauges that i need.

i have come to the realization that i am a visual learner so i drew out the wiring schematic of the cluster so it would be easier to follow than the circuit board on the back of the cluster

i'll be getting this lil doodad to do alot of the work
http://www.hrtuning.com/pages/category/tunerviewrd1

i'll also use some led's for the turn signals and the other idiot lights

i want to find a novel use for the old tach
[video=youtube;9uS0sv67l0k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uS0sv67l0k[/video]

so... i was starting to get sick of explaining to people that the stick figure hood was just a temporary, and yes i do know that a proper v-mount setup needs a vent in the hood to work properly. 
the dmaxx hood i ordered never came in, so i tried to order a dmaxx copy from vis, none in stock. so i started to think about making my own hood vent using a spare hood i had picked up in the junkyard. i wasn't really a fan of this idea but my friend brought up a good point that if i made a hood vent, it would fit the hand built feel of the car better than buying one. i was just nervous that i was gonna ruin a good stock hood and it would look dumb. but i really liked the idea of keeping it diy-ish.

first things first, cut a hole, this involved alot of measuring using something called a tape measure and a brain.

aaron and i came up with the basic shape for the vent. then he cut it all out and fit it together using his savant like welding skills.

after about 30 test fits where i had to sand the vent to keep it from touching the intercooler (yet still be VERY close to it)
i figured out the mount brackets (seen mocked up in the previous pics) which involved alot of drilling and alot of...

pop rivets, i like pop rivets.

so here it is. the entire hood and vent is going to get sprayed black in a week or whenever my painter has the time. so for a little while longer i am stuck with an odd colour hood.
all in all, i am happy with it.

no more weird hood.

back in black

gave it a bit more back bone as well

cage is painted, interior is back in, i am very happy with the results. i went with satin black for the cage to make it "disappear" in the car.

fun parts wanting to be installed, unfortunately, only the bushings will be making it in by the next track event

bushings were the easiest i have ever done

funny story:
this car already had the supra axle in it and i could see that the 4 links had been cut and re-welded to fit the axle. so i assumed that the person who had done the swap used half ae86 and half supra links... i was wrong, the whole set up is all ae86 so i ordered the 79 supra link kit for no reason. derp.
the welds on the 4 links look super haggard (mig) but they have help up in the face of some pretty brutal abuse from both me and the previous owner. thus i am going to leave them be.

the new design of the energy suspension bushings is pretty cool. instead of the normal 2 piece flanged bushing with a steel tube, it is now a 3 piece bushing with a steel tube.
2 flanged caps and a egg shaped inner.

same awful goo

oh yeah, the gauge cluster idea is over. i found out that my ems 4 does not have the drivers to run the tunerview (i was originally led to believe the tunerview would work with it), so now i am just gonna save up and get a racepak iq3

got all my arms on today

also replace the stupid walbro with another stupid walbro until i have enough money to purchase a fuel cell

aloha. not much been going on in the last couple of months other than driving the lil coupe as much as possible.

i did not take these crappy pics

until a couple days ago when i was driving the car over to my new house. as i was driving down the expressway the drive shaft decided to eat itself leaving me unhappy and stranded.

no big deal, right? i can get a new one made for free under warranty.

well... when the drive shaft was flopping about underneath my car, it decided to destroy the  rear case of the transmission.

so that's nice. it also wrecked my rear brakeline and fuel feed and returnline. bonus.

on the bright side i did get a new driveshaft for free

here is a lil video i took on xmas day at 7 in the morning.
sorry about the shoddy angle, i propped the camera up with a rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...tu.be

my dog p-chan is rad

[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:41:52 PM by Dubsky »

haymaker

• Bad ass
  • bloodthirstyhatetheupright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 10:49:17 PM »
there is some real new shit in the works...

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:12:12 PM »
Look at all the fabrication that went into this... And the attention to detail.  Way beyond my comprehension.

How do you do your tubing cuts, like this part.

I'm doing a rollbar and exhaust manifold, and I suck at lining up pipes.

Jordan

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:34:08 AM »
soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much awesome!!!
p-chan tops it off

Phunk Monkey

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:38:45 AM »
*sigh
Reviving old threads since 1995

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 11:51:19 AM »
Wow... I have seen your car in person a few times, I had no idea what went into building such a beast! And your attention to detail... wow dude. You have a very nice corolla.

JMax

• Bad ass
  • Not as baller as the Haymaker
    • View Profile
    • JMax Paint Garage
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »
Thank god this is back. I was having bad withdrawals....

jmaxgarage.com - jmxg.com
Project a.d.d. since 2001

haymaker

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 05:54:43 AM »
Thanks for all the positive comments, looking through all the pics again brought back alot of good memories and that sick feeling due to a whole bunch of  money going away.

Pchan is the man.

Twincharger, yeah I made the angle and curved tube cuts using a bench grinder.

ZERO

• Administrator
  • Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 07:35:28 AM »
Look at all the fabrication that went into this... And the attention to detail.  Way beyond my comprehension.
This x100000.  I've been following this build for a very long time.  The above statement is exactly why I always go look under the hood when its popped up.  Ive probably gone over this engine bay 100 times and every time I see some small detail Ive missed before.
Why do noobs always call their hatch a hatchi but no one ever calls their coupe a couchi?

haymaker

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 02:54:32 PM »

Bad moon rising.

haymaker

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »
SSR wheels have been sold!!!!

to mr. Donavan ravert.

new wheels ordered

ZERO

• Administrator
  • Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »
SSR wheels have been sold!!!!

to mr. Donavan ravert.

new wheels ordered

ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!
Why do noobs always call their hatch a hatchi but no one ever calls their coupe a couchi?

revcyanide

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 11:46:16 AM »
where did you pic up those apaches and how much they set you back?