Author Topic: Crono's F20 Swap!  (Read 44196 times)

Crono0001

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
Crono's F20 Swap!
« on: November 07, 2013, 12:25:33 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm not that mechanically inclined.  And even if I was, I don't have the time.

Efrain is in California now, and with my car in its current state, I'd have to ship it back there.  I'd like to avoid that if possible.
I heard a few names tossed around at the previous meet, but I guess it's time for me to track it down.

I need someone who can reliably put an f20c in an AE86.  Preferably someone who has done it before.
Can you guys give me some leads?

If you came late to this thread, build starts at about page 5.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:39:21 AM by Crono0001 »
Porsche Boxster 986 3.8
Toyota Corolla AE86 F20C
Mazda Miata NA8C

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
Re: Local mechanics that can swap an f20c
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »
How much research have you done on this swap? Do you know where you are getting your motor mounts, tranny mounts, driveline from?

Putting it in there is easy. Hooking it up is harder. If you have your harness sent to efrain I am sure a few of us on here can help you get it in there. I don't know what shop would be any help right now.

The problem with taking it somewhere is this. They say they can do it and you pay them to fuck it up. Then 9 months later your corolla still isn't running and you spent a assload on it.

Maybe talk with Todd at fueled? Intense? Idk who has done the swap locally.

Crono0001

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »
How much research have you done on this swap? Do you know where you are getting your motor mounts, tranny mounts, driveline from?

Putting it in there is easy. Hooking it up is harder. If you have your harness sent to efrain I am sure a few of us on here can help you get it in there. I don't know what shop would be any help right now.

The problem with taking it somewhere is this. They say they can do it and you pay them to fuck it up. Then 9 months later your corolla still isn't running and you spent a assload on it.

Maybe talk with Todd at fueled? Intense? Idk who has done the swap locally.

Exactly why I'm asking you all for recommendations.
The whole reason I got the AE86 is to do this swap.  Efrain linked me motor mounts.  The tranny required some work done to the chassis to make it fit.  Not too sure on the drive line.

My only real contact with any know-how is Suspicious Garage.  I've talked with him a bit, and he says it's completely doable, and sent me off with a list of items to buy.  With my AE86 recently becoming un-drivable, I'm willing to just buy all the parts now to get the car up and running again.  All I need now is someone who can put it together locally.  Worst case scenario, I ship everything to California.
Porsche Boxster 986 3.8
Toyota Corolla AE86 F20C
Mazda Miata NA8C

BoxyShazam

• Bad ass
  • Goodbye yellow brick road
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »
Oh man that hits close to home. I don't recommend Intense as I see they're owned by SPS now. I have heard good things about fueled but they're pricey.
Do you really want to swap it? Like absolutely have to? I've been down the crazy, custom swap path and now almost three years later still have a car with no engine in it.

Crono0001

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »
Oh man that hits close to home. I don't recommend Intense as I see they're owned by SPS now. I have heard good things about fueled but they're pricey.
Do you really want to swap it? Like absolutely have to? I've been down the crazy, custom swap path and now almost three years later still have a car with no engine in it.

Yes.  Again, it was the whole reason I bought the AE86 and not a civic.
I want a professional who has done it before, and can guarantee me a time table.  Suspicious Garage has been my only contact who meets those standards.  I'm not unwilling to ship it to California, but I'd like to do it here if possible.  It lets me check up on it at my own leisure, and saves me some shipping costs.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:20:13 PM by Crono0001 »
Porsche Boxster 986 3.8
Toyota Corolla AE86 F20C
Mazda Miata NA8C

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »

That's so shitty! I am sorry to hear that man. Are you still going to attempt the swap? I am sure you already pulled the car from the aforementioned shop right?

You were trying to put a 2jz in a Hyundai if I remember correctly. What's left on the list of to dos to finish your project?

Brando

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »
I know some dudes. I'll talk to them tonight and see I anyone's interested

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »
Do it yourself...  well, maybe with friends.

You have mounts, engine, harness, and trans?

Do the mounts require welding?

What about the exhaust?  You will need something custom after the engine is in.

Maybe some hammering on the firewall, and a custom driveshaft.

I have an engine hoist you can borrow. (once it comes back from EightSix)...

I can do light welding, or show you how.

I have too many projects going on now to take on another one, but it sounds like fun.

nfelge

• AZT Member
  • sport poop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 11:29:12 PM »
why not just go turbo? (4ac or 4ag) way cheaper and easier. it doesnt make sense to spend a good chunk of change to have someone put an s2000 motor in when it's only going to be street driven.

just my two cents. money doesn't seem like an issue to you though, so just ignore frugal me.
please be nice to me

SidewaysEightSix

• Bad ass
  • It makes sense if you don't think about it....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 11:37:20 PM »
i would F20c a corolla long before I ever boosted a 4ac.....  oh wait......

i would recommend going f20c long before boosting a 4ac...  yeah, i'll go with that
"I'm fat and he's Asian.  Crazy food is bound to come up in conversation."
      "wait, am I the Asian?!"
"yeah bro.  Yeah, I think so."
      "I'm white!"
"visually, yes.  But so is Takumi Fujiwara."

Yes....  You are an expert

Crono0001

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 12:00:12 AM »
i would F20c a corolla long before I ever boosted a 4ac.....  oh wait......

i would recommend going f20c long before boosting a 4ac...  yeah, i'll go with that

You boosted a 4AC?  Haha, that sounds awesome!

@Twincharger: My time is very constrained.  My job consumes the majority of my week, and I'm trying to get my own business up and running on top of that.  I also do lots of trading (head over to my trading post if you want to follow what/how I do in the market!)  It is much more practical for me to just pay someone to do it, and to do it right.  I'd rather just have it done for a few more bucks than headaches.  And as appealing as learning the ins and outs of my car sounds, it took me a few days just to get a carburetor on with some vacuum lines, haha.

@Nfelge: As much as I like forced induction, the F20C is a very appealing engine.  It revs high, and produces good torque at the upper RPMs.  In a light car like the AE86, it should make for one fun car.  Besides, I'll have a uniqueness factor to it as well.
Porsche Boxster 986 3.8
Toyota Corolla AE86 F20C
Mazda Miata NA8C

Crono0001

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 12:11:34 AM »
Forgot to mention, Twincharger,
I have the GTS fuel tank and GTS fuel lines (from J.tin, many thanks).  Still need the wiring harness and rear axle.  The mounts I was going to buy from the link Efrain sent me.  I'll probably upgrade the brakes as well.

I have not yet purchased an S2k motor+tranny, or gauge cluster.  I want to know where I'm swapping first, AZ or CA.  I don't want to buy an ebay motor if I can avoid it.
Porsche Boxster 986 3.8
Toyota Corolla AE86 F20C
Mazda Miata NA8C

SidewaysEightSix

• Bad ass
  • It makes sense if you don't think about it....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 12:26:40 AM »
no, but i've contemplated it a lot, and i have things to go turbo, and it's a possibility
"I'm fat and he's Asian.  Crazy food is bound to come up in conversation."
      "wait, am I the Asian?!"
"yeah bro.  Yeah, I think so."
      "I'm white!"
"visually, yes.  But so is Takumi Fujiwara."

Yes....  You are an expert

nfelge

• AZT Member
  • sport poop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 12:33:21 AM »