Author Topic: Crono's F20 Swap!  (Read 40253 times)

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
Re: Local mechanics that can swap an f20c
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
Forgot to mention, Twincharger,
I have the GTS fuel tank and GTS fuel lines (from J.tin, many thanks).  Still need the wiring harness and rear axle.  The mounts I was going to buy from the link Efrain sent me.  I'll probably upgrade the brakes as well.

I have not yet purchased an S2k motor+tranny, or gauge cluster.  I want to know where I'm swapping first, AZ or CA.  I don't want to buy an ebay motor if I can avoid it.

If I remember right, the aluminum oil pan interferes with the ae86 crossmember. One of them needs heavy modifying.

What about the firewall and transmission tunnel?

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 05:17:20 PM »
What about the firewall and transmission tunnel?

I have a big hammer.

I don't think the S2000 trans is much bigger than the Lexus automatic I have.

Plus the auto needs room for shift linkage and cooling lines next to it where the S2000 would not.

My build thread does not show much in the way of trans tunnel mods.

No before/after pic.  5 minutes with a hammer was all it needed.

Actually, ask the builder of the engine mounts.  It is up to him.

If the engine is set back, you may have to modify the trans tunnel and firewall.

Move the engine forward and you won't.

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 05:29:12 PM »
Moving the engine forward throws off the cars balance and changes its handling characteristics which is the cars greatest attribute. I understand doing it for a 1jz but your not doing any canyon carving in that beast.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:18:06 PM by Hackeduphachi »

Crono0001

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 05:46:38 PM »
I believe it is mounted back and the tranny tunnel is widened.

I also need to do more research in the way of emissions.  Like whether or not what I'm doing is actually legal :p
Porsche Boxster 986 3.8
Toyota Corolla AE86 F20C
Mazda Miata NA8C

theAngryMarmot

• AZT Member
  • www.theangrymarmot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »
Moving the engine forward throws off the cars balance and changes its handling characteristics which is the cars greatest attribute. I understand doing it for a 1jz but your not doing any canyon carving in that beast.

Depends.

If it is only a slight shift, let us say a change from 50/50 to 53/47 99.9999999% of anyone will never notice, nor instigate a difference. That and do we actually know the weight difference between the all aluminum F20C and the iron block 4A in the car?

www.theangrymarmot.com
93 Red Miatar, 93 Black Miatar
95 Civic Coupe B16 , 95 Civic Hatch RaceCar

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 11:15:44 PM »
The aluminum block f20c weighs a hundred pounds more then the cast iron block 4a.

230lbs or less if you have a 20v for the 4a. 330lbs for the f20c

I would notice any change in the car. Doesn't matter how subtle the change. I would especially notice any changes to the balance or weight distribution of the car. A difference of 53/47 from a 50/50 would feel like a completely different car and handle like a completely different car.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:22:58 PM by Hackeduphachi »

theAngryMarmot

• AZT Member
  • www.theangrymarmot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 11:42:49 PM »
That is everyone's knee-jerk reaction - however usually it isn't really true.
That and a small shift in balance does not hamper or change the character or handling capabilities of a car.

I always thought the 4AG with all accessories was more like 285lbs or so fully loaded.

I am going to use the Miata as an example, as it is quite close in wheelbase, weight, and distribution to a 86 (it actually has the fabled 50/50 balance...) I have yet to meet someone who can truly differentiate between a small change in distribution to the point where they think it is a detriment.. And I am not talking anyone here, I am talking autocross championship winning people and people who r&d and race Miatas, for decades.

50/50 distribution looks great on paper - but in reality it may not be optimum for the particular chassis or setup. If I remember correctly the stock distribution for a 86 is 53/47.

Swap in the F20C, relocate the battery. Add a roll-bar. You will be close to the original distribution that I would be willing to bet no one could tell the difference in the balance of the car.

But, that is another discussion for another topic.  An F20C swap in a 86 is "win" in every single way imaginable, except "originality."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:52:31 PM by theAngryMarmot »
www.theangrymarmot.com
93 Red Miatar, 93 Black Miatar
95 Civic Coupe B16 , 95 Civic Hatch RaceCar

Phunk Monkey

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2013, 12:12:57 AM »
I'm excited for this thread cause I think it will happen.

Why do you need to ship the car, wouldn't it be cheaper to borrow a truck and dolly it up there?  If I had the money I would want someone that has done the swap more than twice.  Think you'll only find that in Cali.

I also would have suggested the selling (or not buying in the first place) and getting one already swapped but you got your reasons and the finances to back it up. 

So I say, DO IT!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:14:29 AM by Phunk Monkey »
Reviving old threads since 1995

Crono0001

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
I'm excited for this thread cause I think it will happen.

Why do you need to ship the car, wouldn't it be cheaper to borrow a truck and dolly it up there?  If I had the money I would want someone that has done the swap more than twice.  Think you'll only find that in Cali.

I also would have suggested the selling (or not buying in the first place) and getting one already swapped but you got your reasons and the finances to back it up. 

So I say, DO IT!

If you can find me a non-stripped out hatch with a well documented swap and no flashy body kit on the west coast, I've got 15k good to go.

And yes, this is happening.
Porsche Boxster 986 3.8
Toyota Corolla AE86 F20C
Mazda Miata NA8C

Phunk Monkey

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2013, 12:21:04 AM »
Contact this guy, who knows he might still have all you need.  If not, at least he has the info on the swap.

http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2813

Or these in Cali.

http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5046

http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7778
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:31:54 AM by Phunk Monkey »

Crono0001

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2013, 12:49:36 AM »
I've seen those.  And yea, I've been in contact with a few of them, plus others on Club4AG.  There's a really nice teal hatch for sale in Canada too.
But my main gripe is that those cars are too 'racecar' for me.  They're stripped out with no interior, no ac.  Call me a sissy, but I like those amenities.  I'll need the rear seats too.
A lot of people say I'm wasting such a good swap by not stripping it out and making it full racecar.  The only rebuttal I have to that is that the car brings me more joy this way, and it's my car after all.  They're welcome to do the swap themselves :)

That being said, I've done a lot of research before heading into this project, but I'm still learning as the days go by :)
Porsche Boxster 986 3.8
Toyota Corolla AE86 F20C
Mazda Miata NA8C

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2013, 01:29:58 AM »
The ae86 is more like 51/49 if we want to be technical. I would say mine is closer to 50/50 with it having no accessories and being caged. But that's besides the point. I am saying I know I would be able to tell a difference.

Yes the f20c is a win, a very expensive win. But I am sure a very enjoyable one. That is the most important factor here. Driving enjoyment is worth it's weight in gold. That's why we have corollas and miatas and 240s. I built my Hachi exactly how I wanted it at the time. I won't do another (race car) corolla I miss having a car too lol. But it's the driving experience that mattered to me the most.

I wouldn't buy any of those cars listed. Crono has a great chassis to start with and can build it how he desires. I think having a functioning and complete corolla is awesome. I hope to see it have a good power plant. I love the 4ag but f20 has its advantages. You can build one hell of a corolla for 15k. Just find someone you feel comfortable leaving your car and money with and make it happen.

Phunk Monkey

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2013, 01:33:09 AM »
Money talks, I'm sure a good enough offer and they'll sell the swap.  Coupes are lame anyway.

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2013, 01:36:26 AM »
Coupes are classy! I prefer a coupe. For the record they are a stiffer chassis too.

Na 7m

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2013, 05:40:54 AM »
if you got the scrill and are serious we could get this done....