Author Topic: any is300 fans? I'm lookin for ideas on engine swaps...aristo/supra..or na-t  (Read 12270 times)

1stGENis

• Noob
    • View Profile
Hello there...I recently bought a 2001 is300 in which I am currently working on upgrading the brakes, wheels, and suspension...I'm looking for information on possible swaps...so far I have heard of an aristo block with the 6speed supra trans...I am also thinking of just putting a turbo on the 2jz-ge because I recently rebuilt the top end...any info will be apreciated...

crazy white sileighty

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
I don't think that there are any is300 people here except me and one other guy. ( that guy seems like an idiot though). Good luck finding a get rag (supra 6speed). They rarely pop up for sale. When they do you will pay 3500+ for them.  If you want a 6speed, I would go with a beams motor set out of an Altezza. They were available with a 6speed manual.  Personally I think you would be better off doing a JDM 2jzgte with an r154.  You could assemble the motor set for under $5000. The all you would need is a drive shaft and inner cooler

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
It's already a 2jz. Just turbo the motor you have. Different fuel pump, injectors, and ecu your well on your way. Is your car already a 5 speed? There is really no reason to go with the six speed unless your trying to go over 180mph lol. R154 is your best and most cost effective option. I hear the gay kid that just posted has like ten sitting around lol. Maybe he will sell you one. Or get the supra swap. I wouldn't 1jz swap a car that already has a 2jz. Plus the 2jz parts are easy to find since they were released in u.s. the 1jz was not so you can't find the parts as easily.

Welcome to the boards! Post up some pics and make a build thread.

1stGENis

• Noob
    • View Profile
@crazy white....thx...I do want to have the control of a standard trans..wheather it be 5 or 6 speed. ..but I'm a little nervous about how in depth the conversion may be...my car is an automatic...I think youre right about the jdm gte..ive heard that the bottom end is stonger (forged crank and rods)...thats why i was leaning towards the jdm swap (@hackeduphatchi)...but then I have also heard from a friend who is a mechinist at napa that the 2jz-ge has a forged crank also and that the rods can handle more power than I would make by just adding a turbo...is the r154 the 5speed auto or manual..usdm or jdm...what blocks will it directly mount to without modification...also...are there any oem brake caliper upgrades that will fit an is300. ..maybe gs400 or 2nd Generation is250, 350...

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
The r154 is the manual supra trans it's a 5 speed. Found in some mk3 supra's and can handle everything you can throw at it. You heard right about the 2jz having a forged Crank. The motor you already have can handle a lot of abuse. Boosting one is easy and reliable on a good tune. If I had a Is300 I would boost the stock motor. The trans swap is straight forward. Peddle, master cylinder, clutch line, slave cylinder, trans and driveline. Get a different ecu and if possible just get a standalone.

For the turbo swap get the exhaust manifold, turbo, piping and intercooler, injectors and fuel pump and different ecu. Not too involved and its worth the investment. I have seen Na-t 2jz make upwards of 500hp with stock internals and no problems. Good motor to start with.

Do a manual swap if your going turbo. I don't know how reliable the auto trans is with double the hp. Although Twincharger has a auto for his 1jz but I don't know if you have the same trans. Manuals are just more fun anyway. Good luck with your project. There are plenty of us on here that can help.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:26:20 PM by Hackeduphachi »

Phunk Monkey

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
Shifting 6 times gets annoying.

And welcome to the forum if I didn't already in another thread.
Reviving old threads since 1995

Na 7m

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
2jz is not a fully forged bottom end... cast pistons . They come with PRESSURE CAST pistons, also known as Hypereutectic pistons..

BoxyShazam

• Bad ass
  • Goodbye yellow brick road
    • View Profile
How many miles are on your car? What is your horse power goal? Your current block will hold plenty of power. The weak link are the skinny rods that only can hold like 600hp. The gte vvti block also has the skinnier rods though. Honestly, your best bet is to search supra and lexus forums for info about what swaps to do. I would only trust one person on here about 2jz info and he hasn't posted in this thread.

Na 7m

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
every 2j has the same rods besides the vvti. it has weaker rods.

i have seen 800 hp stock bottom ends last a long time. hell iv seen a 1000 whp 7m!!!! stock fuckin block!!!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:35:34 PM by Na 7m »

Na 7m

• AZT Member
    • View Profile
How many miles are on your car? What is your horse power goal? Your current block will hold plenty of power. The weak link are the skinny rods that only can hold like 600hp. The gte vvti block also has the skinnier rods though. Honestly, your best bet is to search supra and lexus forums for info about what swaps to do. I would only trust one person on here about 2jz info and he hasn't posted in this thread.

hmmmmmmmm i know nothing about poopras

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
What's a supra and where can I find one!

BoxyShazam

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
He has an is300 which has the vvti motor. If he swaps in a gte motor, it should be the vvti gte motor. They have the same skinny rods. Thus, as long as the engine is in relatively good condition and he doesnt want more than 600hp, no sense in swapping.

Hackeduphachi

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
Isn't that the same advice I gave him?

BoxyShazam

• Bad ass
    • View Profile
Yes it is but we don't know what his goals with it are and it may have 500, 000 miles on it. I'm just saying we need more info. Not saying anyone is wrong.

twincharger

• Bad ass
  • Bite me!
    • View Profile
Turbo the 2J.

There are no computer modifications required to install the manual transmission.  It may light up a check engine light because the auto has 2-3 speed sensors so that it can monitor the lockup torque convertor.

I have a 1J manual transmission computer if you need it.